+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: White Skin? around 4 month old nose piercing

White Skin? around 4 month old nose piercing

So this piercing has given me quite a bit of trouble but for the last few weeks it was fine. Until last week or so I snagged it while cleaning it which hurt but I just tried to ignore it and kept on with the cleaning (SSS one/two time a day at that point), it's been a little irritated lately and Ive been cleaning and using oil and a gel called bactrobon on it (which is good for infected piercings, according to the piercing bible and it was infected at one point) But the last few days like right next to the one side of the piercing has been this white stuff it looks like it could be discharge but i think it's like a skin because it doesn't come off after my soaks. around the piercing it gets red depending on how much I clean it, if I leave it alone for a few hours the redness decreases a little but that weird white stuff still stays. Does anyone know what that is? sorry that's the best picture I could get and the bump next to it is a scar.

It does look really unhappy. How about leaving it alone for a while? I think it might be a little over the top with all the soaking and the gel and whatnot.
    My nostrils used to have a little ring like that around them while they were healing, especially prominent after saline soaks. At most give it a soak and a good rinse with cool water once a day or something.
    Did it bleed at all when it was snagged? How do you usually clean it?
    I am the Brickface.

x 1/2" lobes, previously scalpelled to 10mm
    x 8g septum
    x 14g double nostrils, nipples & tongue
    x An arm and both legs sacrificed to artwork ~29hrs

-My deviantArt-
    -My Tumblr-

Yeah it's kind of raised too. :/ The white skin around it is strange like I keep expecting it to come off like dry skin but it stays. I think I defintely went a bit over board with the soaks the last two days and the cleaning today. I did like 1 10 minute soak and 3 5minute soaks.The inside of my nostril is currently burning.
    I don't remember it bleeding when it snagged but it hurt and got red and angry, and I continued cleaning one soak in the morning and once before bed and some emu oil. But then a few days later at work they were fixing the ac's and dust was falling and chemicals were all over. I wonder if that irritated it further. I just have to gel on the outside right now and i did have a bit on the inside.

Yeah okay. I managed to snag my first nostril piercing once as well, it actually got torn and it bled like mad. All I did was sss for a few days after and it was fine and dandy! I think your problem is definitely the excessive cleaning routine. Just let the little thing rest a little, only rinse it with water in the shower and don't put anything on it.
    I am the Brickface.

x 8g septum

-My deviantArt-
    -My Tumblr-

Quote Originally Posted by DieZwiebel View Post
    The inside of my nostril is currently burning.
    Even with that many soaks this should not happen. Did you double-check your water to salt ratio? Anyways, it's definitely a sign of over-cleaning.
    current: 4g lobes, 10g conch (l), helix (r), septum, 1 tattoo (health potion & clover on lower leg)
    retired: rook (l), nostril (r)

Quote Originally Posted by Nossie View Post
    Yeah okay. I managed to snag my first nostril piercing once as well, it actually got torn and it bled like mad. All I did was sss for a few days after and it was fine and dandy! I think your problem is definitely the excessive cleaning routine. Just let the little thing rest a little, only rinse it with water in the shower and don't put anything on it.
    Ooh that's no fun , Yeah I didn't have any bleeding it just hurt! I've just been rinsing it in the shower and the white stuff has gone away but the area around it is still a tad bit red and raised.

It'll calm down soon enough, just be patient with it
    I am the Brickface.

x 8g septum

-My deviantArt-
    -My Tumblr-

Okay so I haven't been cleaning it aside from the water in the shower, and there is still some lingering pink/redness around it. when I first get out of the shower it's really red and then it dulls down to a pink. Now what's going on?

If you take warm to hot showers, it is a redder in that area because the warmth dialates blood vessels and increases blood flow. It's the same reason people advise warming up pre-mixed SSS type solutions, because the increased blood flow and oxygen supply aids with healing and drainage.
    "Peace is a lie, there is only passion..."

Current: 5/8" lobes, 14g labret, 8g tongue, 12g pubic, 8+ hours tattoo work
    Retired: 14g orbital, 12g brow, 16g nostril, 12g 2nd lobes, 14g septum (to be resurrected at a later date)

The redness goes away a few hours after shower, right? Is it tender when touched?
    I am the Brickface.

x 8g septum

-My deviantArt-
    -My Tumblr-

+ Reply to Thread