Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Oral Piercings at the Dentist

Oral Piercings at the Dentist

Kind of an odd question, but I was just wondering what some of you do when you go to the dentist with an oral piercing? (take it out, change the jewellery, retainer, etc) I had my lip pierced 6 weeks ago and I'm due for a check-up soon (I've been trying to delay it). Also have you ever been "lectured" about your piercings while there?

I never used to take my tongue barbell out for the dentist. The first time I went to him after getting it done, I actually made a point of asking whether he thought the placement was bad for my teeth. He mentioned that he didn't like oral piercings because he'd seen some truly damaging ones, but mine didn't look too risky. He gave me honest advice, but he certainly didn't lecture me or make me feel bad for having it. I would have found it pretty unprofessional if he had.
    Hi, I'm Nicole.
    Mods | Tumblr
    Always in search of 1/2" IS jewels, any colour. PM me!

Mine has worked with me if I said I was unable to remove something, but I also removed anything I could to make their jobs easier.

Only time I had to remove my piercing was for x-rays. I had pierced it three weeks prior, and had to remove it. Other than that, my dentist just jokes about my piercings

Edit: I also had to remove my eyebrow piercing for the x-ray.
    Known as TaTa or Ghost
    Beauty is nothing more than what a being wants it to be --TaylorJordan-Nichole
    Current:> 14g right eyebrow, 14g centered labret, 14g philtrum, 20g first lobe piercings
    Retired:> 18g Left and right nostril piercings, 14g mirrored labrets/snakebites
    Future:> Many more modifications......
    My modifications are a part of who I am. If you disrespect them, then you disrespect me --Joji Grey.

My dentist usually ignore them but the girl that help him usually asks polite questions, lol.
    However if you need a scan (for wisdom teeth per example) the metal barbell do little flashes on the scan so you might need to switch to bioplast.
    Magalie. 3/4 lobes (downsized). 2x off-center tongue & philtrum piercings. upper chest dermal. tattoo covering the front of one thigh.
    New mods 2013: 3/5

I was curious about this, too, so we both get some answers
    I have an appointment next week, so we'll see if mine lectures me (he complains about my other ones even if they have nothing to do with my mouth, haha).
    Piercings: 00g firsts, 16g seconds(R&L)/thirds(R&L), 14g nostril (L), 14g tongue

Retired: 16g eyebrow (R), 16g fourths (L), 14g navel (temporary)

Tattoos: 1 across shoulders, 2 chest, 3 left wrist, 1 right hip, 1 left hip, 1 left ankle, 1 right foot, 1 left foot, 1 left quarter-sleeve

In my generation, some would lecture harshly and force you to remove all jewelry. Your favorite piercers can sometimes point you toward piercing friendly dentists and doctors. I don't have oral piercings but use bioplast in all of my piercings prior to any doctor/dental appointment in case some type of x-ray ends up having to be taken. I've had to remove all my jewelry for an MRI once and it was a PITA. I just prefer not to have to fuss around this particular issue.

ETA: Keep in mind I'm 50+
    Last edited by jahof45; 05-04-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: tense
    Current: 12g firsts, 14g seconds, 14g thirds, 16g tragus, 16g L nostril, 12g nipples, 12g vch, 1 tattoo.
    Retired: 18g initial seconds (bad placement), 16g helixes, 16g rooks.
    Future: 8g firsts, 12g conches, 12g triangle, half back tattoo.

i think it greatly depends on ur age and if u have ur own insurance or ur parents.

when i had my parents insurance i used to take out my lip piercing for the dentist (back when i only had one) if they asked.
    now that i'm an adult and have my own insurance and i'm the one paying them, i just tell them i "can't" take them out and they deal with it.
    Have been pierced 75 times/ currently have 32 unnatural holes in me
    78 star tattoos, lots of other tattoos/ L & R 4g conch punches / L & R 2g helix punches/ L & R 6g nostril punches/ 2 brandings / 1 cutting and flesh removal / 2 magnetic implants / 0g lip scalpelling/ secondary lobe reconstruction

I have lip piercings, when they ask me to take them out I tell them I don't know how. Surprisingly the x-ray machine doesn't explode and they don't get in the way at all.

I haven't really been lectured, but when I showed up with my first lip piercing they told me I should wear "plastic" jewelry, heh.
    Last edited by wtfhayleygeez; 05-04-2012 at 10:41 AM.
    It's not infected. Stop touching it.

My dentist lectures me everytime I go. Even though she has admitted my piercings have caused no damage (longest I've had an oral piercing is 10years). I get the lecture and then she snarkily puts on my record "Continues to have oral piercings despite my advice against them".

Closed Thread