+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Infected Microdermal

Infected Microdermal

I noticed this morning that one of my microdermals had a red ring around it. When I gently pushed on it, a yellowish discharge came out. I have some antibacterial soap with me and some rubbing alcohol, but that's it. I don't have a sea salt mixture with me and I can't get to any sea salt until about 7:00 or 8:00 tonight. Not sure what to do until then. Should I clean it with the rubbing alcohol or make a salt solution using table salt? I want to treat it as soon as possible. Any advice?
    Piercings:
    Left lobe 3
    Right lobe 4
    Right Auricle
    Right Helix
    Bellybutton
    Tongue
    Right Nostril
    Left Monroe
    Microdermals 3 right breast along bra line
    1 Microdermals above bellybutton

Retired
    Right tragus

Wash the area gently, leave it alone, and visit your physician as soon as possible. Don't put rubbing alcohol on it.

For future reference, it's fine to use table salt for a salt soak.

Could it be rejecting? Unfortunately because it's Good Friday, the doctor's office is closed and I don't want to pay for an urgent care visit. I will go see my piercer today, was going there already this afternoon when they open. I'm trying to soak it right now in just the table salt mix.
    Piercings:
    Left lobe 3
    Right lobe 4
    Right Auricle
    Right Helix
    Bellybutton
    Tongue
    Right Nostril
    Left Monroe

Retired
    Right tragus

of course it could be rejecting. it's a microdermal; they're not exactly known for staying put.

how've you been caring for it? if you think rubbing alcohol is at all appropriate to even ASK about in reference to a piercing, i fear you haven't been taught any proper piercing husbandry.

Quote Originally Posted by lishd View Post
    of course it could be rejecting. it's a microdermal; they're not exactly known for staying put.

how've you been caring for it? if you think rubbing alcohol is at all appropriate to even ASK about in reference to a piercing, i fear you haven't been taught any proper piercing husbandry.
    Fragrance free antibacterial soap in the shower and sea salt soaks for the first three weeks or so. I got it done February 22 and it's been good up until today. The only reason I asked about rubbing alcohol is because I have some with me for cleaning my bellybutton barbells and don't have a sea salt water bottle with me. I've never used rubbing alcohol on my piercings, but I'm nervous about this one. I haven't used the rubbing alcohol, just asked about it. Normal infections are generally treated with rubbing alcohol, but I waited for an answer before using it/not using it.
    Piercings:
    Left lobe 3
    Right lobe 4
    Right Auricle
    Right Helix
    Bellybutton
    Tongue
    Right Nostril
    Left Monroe

Retired
    Right tragus

Quote Originally Posted by Cali_Girl View Post
    Normal infections are generally treated with rubbing alcohol
    they absolutely are not.

Quote Originally Posted by lishd View Post
    they absolutely are not.
    Old school teaching is to use rubbing alcohol. Back in the day when I got my first lobe piercings, that's all we used without any problems. When my fiance cut the top of his finger off recently, they did instruct us to use diluted rubbing alcohol on it once a day and the doctor cleaned it with rubbing alcohol because he's allergic to iodine. They told us not to use hydrogen peroxide, I do know not to use that, but wound sites are often cleaned with rubbing alcohol.
    Piercings:
    Left lobe 3
    Right lobe 4
    Right Auricle
    Right Helix
    Bellybutton
    Tongue
    Right Nostril
    Left Monroe

Retired
    Right tragus

Rubbing alcohol can be used to clean a wound to prevent infection, but not as a treatment. You should see if there is a freestanding urgent care clinic near you; many are quite affordable.

cheetah
    Lol, what is a normal infection?

If you think it's infected (which you do) then you should always visit your doctor as soon as possible (now).

I'm not an advocate of people visiting piercers over doctors but maybe do that first then, if you're determined not to see a doctor.

In the meantime, put nothing on it except maybe a warm pad.

Okay calm down. First thing don't freak out & start messing w it. Poking, pulling the skin around it or touching it in general will only make things worse. This does not necessarily mean that it is infected or rejecting. Is there any chance you caught it on something or hit it in your sleep maybe? This sounds exactly like what mine used to do when I would catch them w my seatbelt.

You cleaned it w salt water, good, now bandage it & leave it alone til you go see your piercer today.

Mirco-dermal are finicky piercings, which is why I had my last one removed a couple days ago, they are high maintenance & require constant babying. Don't freak just see what your piercer says if they are worried then you worry.
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. -Chuck Palahniuk

Ann I am.
    Yo tengo:
    7/16" lobes, 16g seconds, 16g Septum, 14g Navel, 14g Nipples, 2 Nape surface anchors, 16g upper frenulum (smiley) & roughly 50hrs of tattooing.

+ Reply to Thread