+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Infected Monroe Piercing

  1. #1
    Senior Member Cali_Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    118

    Infected Monroe Piercing

    I got my Monroe done on Tuesday and by Wednesday, the piercing was oozing yellow puss. I went to a different piercer who noticed the problem. Since then I've been soaking in SSS and rinsing after food and cigarettes (which I have cut down on). The piercer that looked at it says it looks like it's doing better but when I wake up it's a little sore and gookie. It almost seems to be stuck with gunk. Is there more than SSS three times a day and SSS mouth rinses that I can do? I have some antibiotics I could take but I try and limit the amount of times a year I take them. I don't want to have to take it out, is there more I should be doing?
    Piercings:
    Left lobe 3
    Right lobe 4
    Right Auricle
    Right Helix
    Bellybutton
    Tongue
    Right Nostril
    Left Monroe
    Microdermals 3 right breast along bra line
    1 Microdermals above bellybutton


    Retired
    Right tragus

  2. #2
    Member psycho_butthead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Houston,TX
    Posts
    82
    Clean the outside of the monroe with an antibacterial soap to get the gross gooey stuff off the outsite. I would say do it twice a day.
    Piercings I have now:
    3 lobes in each ear, 16g tragus , 16g lip, 14g cartilage (helix), 14g navel, 16g eyebrow
    Tattoos:
    1 Maple Leaf in color on L/Leg
    Retired Piercings:
    14g tongue (4 times), 14g industrial, 16g smiley

  3. #3
    Senior Member ABCD_emily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chelmsford, England
    Posts
    1,453
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it takes a good few days for an infection to materialise in the way you've described, given the incubation period of the bacteria and the time it takes to display the symptoms.

    I'm not doubting yours or your piercer's judgement, but my basic knowledge of microbiology is flagging this as suspect. Is it hot to touch? Oozing a thick, yellow/green/brown substance? Emitting a foul odour? Severely swollen with redness around the affected area? Those are all symptoms that nod toward an infection.

    The only way a piercing could become infected so fast (as far as I'm aware, Axon may be able to shed more light on this, amongst other more knowledgeable science members here) was if the jewellery or needle was already contaminated with the offending bacteria, which flags up severe concern for the piercer's sterilisation protocol. But even then, that bacteria would have to go through the lag phase and the exponential growth phase incredibly fast in order for the infection symptoms to show.

    It may be an allergy to the jewellery. Was it pierced with surgical steel opposed to titanium? As far as I know, allergies to SS can crop up at any time, which may be have what occurred here.

    If you're 100% sure that it is an infection, the only way to treat them is with a broad spectrum antibiotic, salt soaks may draw some of the pus out, but it won't do anything to actually kill the bacteria present.
    Last edited by ABCD_emily; 03-03-2012 at 10:23 AM.
    You can't rollerskate in a buffalo herd.

    8 holes, 14 retired, 1 tattoo

    Photography/Facebook

  4. #4
    BAF Employee bluebananaeater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Woodstock, GA
    Posts
    15,045
    Yellow-whitish is fine it's the yellow-green you need to worry about. Many of my crusties on new piercings are yellowish. Give it a few days and watch it closely. If you really are worried see a doctor.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Axon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Terra
    Posts
    14,456
    Infections can arise quickly but you won't your issue until you visit your physician. If the area is exhibiting classic infection symptoms as mentioned above, seek medical treatment as soon as possible. There's no way we'll be able to tell you what's going on over the internet.

    Please do us all a favor and never self-prescribe antibiotic drugs. Let your doctor give you instructions for your exact situation as antibiotics can target different things.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Cali_Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    118
    It is yellow-green. I think something might have been contaminated as I did not watch the piercer pull everything out of the bag this time. I found it completely abnormal that it would be infected the next day and although it seems like it might be maybe getting a little better, I am concerned. All my other piercings have gone great, it's just this one that's gone whonky. The one thing the original piercer, not the good one I went to to look at it, did not tell me was to treat a lip piercing the same way as a tongue so I wasn't gargling the first 24 hours.

    This one oozes and gets crusty (sorry to be graphic) during the day and feels like it's stuck to my lip. I'm trying to take extra good care of it and haven't taken my leftover antibiotics yet. I'm also making sure I don't touch it or play with it with dirty hands.

    I was told to give it 7 days before I worry. It is still red, but this morning it doesn't hurt like yesterday.
    Piercings:
    Left lobe 3
    Right lobe 4
    Right Auricle
    Right Helix
    Bellybutton
    Tongue
    Right Nostril
    Left Monroe
    Microdermals 3 right breast along bra line
    1 Microdermals above bellybutton


    Retired
    Right tragus

  7. #7
    Senior Member Axon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Terra
    Posts
    14,456
    Do not wait to see your doctor; seek treatment immediately. Yellow green discharge is not a good sign. The longer you wait, the greater your risk for complications, scarring, and loss of the hole.

    You should never hold on to 'leftover' antibiotics. You should always finish the treatment according to the specific directions your doctor gives you; if you do not you risk reinfection and/or resistance, which can influence all of us in the long run. If for some reason your doctor switches your treatment or specifically tells you to stop the medication you should dispose of it promptly according to your pharmacist's recommendation. Like I said in my other post, different drugs treat different types of infections so don't even attempt to self-medicate in this case.

  8. #8
    BAF Employee bluebananaeater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Woodstock, GA
    Posts
    15,045
    I agree with Ro.

    Also you seem to be getting a lot of piercings done in a super close time span. Your body may be telling you enough for now. It's really taxing on your body and immune system to heal a piercing. The body wants to close holes, so it's stressed trying to figure out the best to close a hole you want to keep open.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Cali_Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebananaeater View Post
    I agree with Ro.

    Also you seem to be getting a lot of piercings done in a super close time span. Your body may be telling you enough for now. It's really taxing on your body and immune system to heal a piercing. The body wants to close holes, so it's stressed trying to figure out the best to close a hole you want to keep open.
    I do admit to getting a lot of piercings over the last two months, but I talked with my piercer and he said he's done multiple piercings at one shot, more than I have had done, and that it's been fine. As the Monroe was my most recent, and last for a while, maybe my body is saying "WTF are you doing to me?" I'll make sure to keep up on my vitamins and cleaning the hole.

    The redness is definitely gone down today. Axon, I have not taken the left over antibiotics. The reason I had extra was because the doctor prescribed a double course to save me money in case my UTI didn't go away with the first course. It did, so I had a full course left over. They frequently do that here for medicaid patients. But I will take your advice and not take the course I have left. I'll probably toss them when I get home to be real honest. Take away the temptation.

    Strange question. I drink A LOT of coffee during the day. Could that be having an effect?
    Piercings:
    Left lobe 3
    Right lobe 4
    Right Auricle
    Right Helix
    Bellybutton
    Tongue
    Right Nostril
    Left Monroe
    Microdermals 3 right breast along bra line
    1 Microdermals above bellybutton


    Retired
    Right tragus

  10. #10
    Senior Member Squidface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Axon View Post
    You should never hold on to 'leftover' antibiotics. You should always finish the treatment according to the specific directions your doctor gives you; if you do not you risk reinfection and/or resistance, which can influence all of us in the long run. If for some reason your doctor switches your treatment or specifically tells you to stop the medication you should dispose of it promptly according to your pharmacist's recommendation. Like I said in my other post, different drugs treat different types of infections so don't even attempt to self-medicate in this case.
    This this this! Self-prescribing antibiotics is not safe.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts