Closed Thread

Thread: Microdermals and MRI's

Microdermals and MRI's

I always buy a glass retainer for whatever piercing I get in the event that I'll need to undergo some procedure where I can't have metal in. I've been considering getting a microdermal. Being that I can't remove it or change the jewelry, I wondered how getting something like an MRI would work. Thoughts/ experiences please?
    We just want our hermitry to stay and our coffee to go.

id doubt any place would allow you to wear one and have an MRI. they would make you take it out, or not do the procedure
    "Death is the ultimate rush, thatís why mother nature saved it till last." - Steve Morrell
    "Never take life to seriously, no one makes it out alive"

my mods so far: 1/2" lobes, 7/16ths septum, 14ga labret, 4ga PA, split tongue, 100hrs of tattoo work and counting.

Retired: 1/2" tongue ring, 3 eyebrow rings, nipples, industrial, 2 lip rings.

(Where's wissabo when you need her?)

Really? From what research I've done so far, titanium or any other non- ferromagnetic metal should be fine. But there's still the matter of other procedures like defibrillation... anything conductible would be bad in that scenario, right?
    Last edited by anachronism; 01-21-2012 at 01:30 PM.

it SHOULD be fine, but i dont know of any dr that is going to risk the multi million dollar machine to your word, of "there SHOULDNT be any steel in it"

people with joint replacement and titanium screws are also a no go for MRIs and the source and maker of that metal is WELL documented, and trackable to an exact make/model, much more so than any microdermal.

and yeah Wiss was the first person i thought of too. lol

and as far as defribrilation, IF it did matter, which im 99.999999% sure it wont be affected at al(as ive shocked MAY people with pacemakers before)l, but anyway. if you do need defribrilation, then trust me, your microdermal getting hurt is so far down on the list of your problems for the day, that it really dont matter. lol
    Last edited by mutumbo; 01-21-2012 at 01:44 PM.
    "Death is the ultimate rush, thatís why mother nature saved it till last." - Steve Morrell
    "Never take life to seriously, no one makes it out alive"

my mods so far: 1/2" lobes, 7/16ths septum, 14ga labret, 4ga PA, split tongue, 100hrs of tattoo work and counting.

Retired: 1/2" tongue ring, 3 eyebrow rings, nipples, industrial, 2 lip rings.

Most of the jewelry for surface anchors is MRI-safe, to my knowledge...

I doubt some doctors would care or believe that, though. If they knew you had it, they'd probably make you take it out.

I had an MRI with dermals in, but it was for my head area. Didn't feel a thing.

Edit: I also didn't break the machine.
    Last edited by Ecstacy; 01-21-2012 at 05:54 PM.
    I'm Lana!

You could ask the manufacturer a paper stating all the materials present in the microdermal. I know a friend requested trough my piercer that kind of paper to Industrial Strenght, but she still has to do the MRI.. so i don't know if they will still ask her to remove it.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll just have to move microdermals to my list of possibly, but most likely not things to get.

Just popping in to revive this thread... I have been considering microdermals and was also wondering about MRIs and that sort of thing. (I actually had an MRI and an MRA done late last year.) So, thank you for posting this and thanks to all those who replied! I was wondering, though, if you had an update on what happened with your friend, grundstuck?

Welcome to the forums! Generally any thread that is inactive for a month gets laid to rest. This is basically just a housekeeping thing.

Only good zombie is a dead zombie, right?

I am locking the thread, but you are more than welcome to send grundstuck a private message.

Also, here is a link to the forum rules:

http://forums.bodyartforms.com/showt...amp-guidelines

Closed Thread