Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Intenze and Starbrite tattoo inks?

Intenze and Starbrite tattoo inks?

I've been trying to research tattoo inks for the past hour or so. I want to get a tattoo, but I wouldn't be able to get over the fact that there is something potentially toxic in my body. The tattoo artist that I would go to uses Intenze and Starbrite. So far I've found out that Intenze uses ABS plastic in their colors, which I'm not too thrilled about, but I can't find anythiiiiing on their black inks.

It's just hard to find stuff on specific brands. From my research I've found that most black inks are carbon black, and therefore pretty safe and non-toxic. So worst case, I would just get a non-colored tattoo, which I'm completely fine with.

So, question number one: Does anyone know if the black inks for Intenze are carbon black? Or at least not made with ABS plastic.

Question two: Does anyone know anything about Starbrite pigments/ their black inks?
    14g microdermal, 7/16" lobes, 18g tragus, 14g septum, 14g navel
    Retired: 18g double nostrils

afaik, all starbrites use encapsulated acrylic pigments.

breathing & living on this planet means you take in toxins every day. your body has an immune system for a reason. i'm straight-edge, but i put tattoo inks on my list of "things to not worry about at this point in time". if you're that concerned, i'd advise avoiding tattooing altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by lishd View Post

breathing & living on this planet means you take in toxins every day. your body has an immune system for a reason. i'm straight-edge, but i put tattoo inks on my list of "things to not worry about at this point in time". if you're that concerned, i'd advise avoiding tattooing altogether.
    second this.
    currently: 6g first lobes; 14g second & third lobes; 14g industrial (L); 14g helix (R); 18g nostril (L); 12g navel; 16g tragus (R)

possibly: back tattoo; 14g tongue; 16g tragus (L); 18g nostril (R); 14g conches

well i love you so much, but do me a favor baby, don't reply. 'cause i can dish it out but i can't take it.

Quote Originally Posted by rayne View Post
    second this.
    Thirded. Tattoos are meant to be there for life, they wouldn't be putting any harmful ingredients in them that would radically affect your body in the short or long term. Chemicals and synthetics aren't necessarily bad for you either. Just because it isn't made from gunk from the earth doesn't make it poison.

Quote Originally Posted by kwaniesiam View Post
    Thirded. Tattoos are meant to be there for life, they wouldn't be putting any harmful ingredients in them that would radically affect your body in the short or long term.
    well, that's not exactly true considering the very recent history of tattoo inks. but that's exactly why i amended to "this point in time".

I'm not sure how spot on it is, I'll have to research it more, but I had a doctor tell me the UV inks lead to cancer of some sort, I'm not sure if that's the doctor trying to lead me away from the idea, but just thought I'd throw that in there.

Lish, you seem to be really deep into the modification scene, is that anything you've heard about?
    Mods; 3/4" lobes, 6g second lobe (left), 00g Flat (right), 12g septum, 10g tongue, 12g horizontal nipples, 10g VCH.
    Tattoos x13

This is what I found doing a quick google: http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Tattoo_ink

I don't know what brands use what, but there are definitely unsafe and fairly safe substances pigments can be made with. Please update if you find more info on the different brands.

Edit: here's another site that lists some of the ink brands. The first one apparently advertises itself as safe: http://how-to-tattoo.com/tattoo-supplies/tattoo-inks/
    Last edited by Watercress; 12-13-2011 at 02:45 AM.
    0g lobes (downsized, then scalpelled, now heading back to 00g), 2g conches, 14g helix, 16g double nostrils

Retired: 14g conch, 10g seconds, 14g tongue web, 12g septum

Quote Originally Posted by Kookukachu View Post
    I'm not sure how spot on it is, I'll have to research it more, but I had a doctor tell me the UV inks lead to cancer of some sort, I'm not sure if that's the doctor trying to lead me away from the idea, but just thought I'd throw that in there.

Lish, you seem to be really deep into the modification scene, is that anything you've heard about?
    imo, UV inks are not yet safe enough to be used. there are plenty of folks who've had reactions to them lasting for a year or more.

Yeah. I'm just kinda bummed about it. I've been thinking about my tattoo design for months, and now that I finally have an idea that I love, I start to find all these 'OMG TOXIC!!1" websites on tattoos. However, I also realize I have a tendency to over think things. A lot. Haha.

I actually just found the MSDS Sheets for Intenze and Starbrite. From reading a couple of them here and there, they don't actually seem too hazardous or toxic. But I'm not an expert.

http://www.painfulpleasures.com/xcar....php?pageid=64

http://www.painfulpleasures.com/xcar....php?pageid=67

imo, UV inks are not yet safe enough to be used. there are plenty of folks who've had reactions to them lasting for a year or more.
    Just to second what you said, from what I've found, the problem with most UV tattoos are the allergic reactions/skin irritations people have.

http://www.tattoohealth.org/content/uv.asp
    14g microdermal, 7/16" lobes, 18g tragus, 14g septum, 14g navel
    Retired: 18g double nostrils

Quote Originally Posted by megsss View Post
    Yeah. I'm just kinda bummed about it. I've been thinking about my tattoo design for months, and now that I finally have an idea that I love, I start to find all these 'OMG TOXIC!!1" websites on tattoos. However, I also realize I have a tendency to over think things. A lot. Haha.

I actually just found the MSDS Sheets for Intenze and Starbrite. From reading a couple of them here and there, they don't actually seem too hazardous or toxic. But I'm not an expert.
    keep in mind they only need to be non-hazardous & non-toxic enough to last about a century. :P

Closed Thread