+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How many mm is 2g?

How many mm is 2g?

I've been looking at 2g jewelry online, and sometimes it is listed as 6mm and sometimes as 6.5mm. Will my ears even care? Is 2g "officially" one or the other? Thanks
    * 00g lobes
    * nape
    * septum
    * double nostrils
    * nipples
    * navel
    * upper helix
    * tragus
    * conch
    * retired monroe

It's both, same how sometimes 00g is either 9 or 10mm since the metric system is not always an exact conversion. Stretchy lobes will not care about the difference that much. My stupid conches however do, so I have to be careful to make sure my plugs are 6mm. I wish things were more standardized.

6.5 for jewelry that is machined, ie SS, Ti

hand made/imported jewelry can vary from 6-7mm
    go by millimeters and not gauges and it is much eaiser.
    Ryan
    CEO
    Glasswear Studios

Official American Wire Gauge tables list 2 gauge as .2576". This is per the table in Machinery's Handbook, the reference bible for machinists and mechanical designers. With much jewelry being made in metric countries or being hand made there are huge variations. I have seen supposed 2 gauge items as small as about .230".

00 gauge is officially .3648", closest to 9mm (actual 9.26mm) and 000 gauge is .4096" or closest to 10mm (actual 10.4mm).
    Piercings: 14mm Labret, 1.5" ear lobes, 2g, 0g and 7/16" ear cartlidge piercings, 6g Industrial piercing, 1/2" septum, 4g navel, nose side & nipples, 15mm P.A.

Tattoos on about 60% of the body but none on hands or above the normal T shirt neckline.

Hobbyist machinist who has done quite a bit of body jewelry machining for personal use.

The metric system is just better.

all body jewelry should be listed in mm its just eaiser to compare and do math with
    Ryan
    CEO
    Glasswear Studios

Quote Originally Posted by RyanGwS View Post
    all body jewelry should be listed in mm its just eaiser to compare and do math with
    Agreed but Congress stopped full Metric conversion in the USA in the late 1970s IIRC. I suspect that they could not learn it! Most US industry that is concerned with exports has converted. The USA is the last country on Earth which has not converted to Metric so far as I know.
    Piercings: 14mm Labret, 1.5" ear lobes, 2g, 0g and 7/16" ear cartlidge piercings, 6g Industrial piercing, 1/2" septum, 4g navel, nose side & nipples, 15mm P.A.

Tattoos on about 60% of the body but none on hands or above the normal T shirt neckline.

Hobbyist machinist who has done quite a bit of body jewelry machining for personal use.

Not the only one - Burma and Liberia also haven't converted yet
    32mm lobes | 8ga nostrils | empty septum | 14ga philtrum | 14hrs tattooing
    (◕‿◕✿)

Quote Originally Posted by chloe.faith View Post
    Not the only one - Burma and Liberia also haven't converted yet
    You beat me!

The U.S. won't be doing a hard conversion in the next 20 years, at least--once all the baby boomers die out it may happen, but I still have doubts it'll happen in my lifetime. While I agree it is somewhat annoying, it didn't take me but a few weeks at BAF to learn all the conversions by heart--complaining about it seems as futile as expecting shady companies to stop making knockoffs.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe."

Axon: "You are an awful person."

omnipotato's resin: Facebook | Etsy

The problems is, us europeans-asian-african have to learn a different (& not so useful) metric system just because of you..

But that's how the world works

+ Reply to Thread