+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Closing gauges?

Closing gauges?

I know a lot of people will probably say stretching is a permanent thing, but cut me some slack!

I went up to a 2G and it took a while, never blew out my ear or anything. Had the 2s in for about a year and now I'm trying to downsize to a normal piercing size because I have to get a job as a teacher soon. Currently I have a 6g in and the skin has tightened around it and I am planning on going to an 8 soon.

So, my question is: does anyone know from personal experience the likelyhood of my ears going to a normal piercing, or of some tips to help close them? I have heard about things like using fine sandpaper to irritate the skin and help them close, but I have also heard it will only create scar tissue. Other than that I have really only heard of massaging the lobes with oil or hemorrhoid cream (cause the vitamin e) to tighten the skin and help them close. I don't want to resort to surgery, but I have heard if they are very small it is possible to have a piercer close them some way?

I appreciate any and all legitimate advice! thank you!

No one can tell you how far your ears will close up, as everyone is different. I will say, though, that going down a size at a time is not necessary. Just take our your jewelry and let them close up!

Oh, and don't use hemorrhoid cream on your ears!
    wissaho: Does this count as an Indian Summer?
    ashley: Not until someone drowns in a pool of sweat and curry.

yeah, i understand everyone's skin is different. but, if i just take them out won't i end up with slits instead of circles? that's how my one friends ears are now. also, why no hemorrhoid cream??

Quote Originally Posted by tvariano View Post
    yeah, i understand everyone's skin is different. but, if i just take them out won't i end up with slits instead of circles? that's how my one friends ears are now. also, why no hemorrhoid cream??
    Because hemorrhoid cream is for hemorrhoids.

If you're using that for the vitamin E, why not just use vitamin E oil?

Are you male or female? CZ plugs in smaller sizes can pass for normal earrings if you can't get them to close in adequate time though for a teaching job guys can't always get away with it.

The shape your ears close up to is different for everyone but your best chance of them closing would be to leave jewelry out entirely. Also your stretching history can affect how they close.

Even at 6g, you can probably get away with "looking normal" by using colorfronts or plugs like these or these.

And don't try that sandpaper thing. It MIGHT "help" them close, but you're just going to end up with a giant ball of scar tissue. Ick.
    Last edited by rawrrrchicken; 11-02-2011 at 04:20 PM.
    Mods I have: 2g earlobeholes (R/L), 14g Industrial (L), 3x 12g helix piercings (R), 12g Nipples (R/L), and an 8g Septum.

Retired: 14g seconds (R/L), 20g thirds (R/L), 20g fourth (L), helix/cartilage project (R), and 16g Upper Lip Frenulum.

Things:
    - My collection (more or less, anyway).
    - My art Tumblr.
    - Personal Tumblr.

My name is Kat.

Having a body modifications professional sew them shut is going to be your best bet for having normal ears.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe."

Axon: "You are an awful person."

omnipotato's resin: Facebook | Etsy

My ears were pierced with 6g glass heart plugs from GWS. You can't tell they're not "normal" ear piercings.

If you're a guy and they don't want ear piercings at all, I'd think that at 6g or 8g hider plugs would make them practically invisible.

A naked piercing at 6g is usually hard to differentiate from a smaller one to a lot of people.

It definitely varies for everyone, depending on their body.

In regards to personal experience, I had my 2nds at a 2g for about 9 months when I decided to see if they would close up; they are both totally closed now. They seemed to pause around 8g, so I tried stretching back up to 6g in hopes that stimulating a new healing process would lead my body to complete the hole closure.

But, my person experience is all it is. I hope your experience works out for you.
    1/2" lobes, 14g septum, 14g left and right tragus, 16g right inner conch.

+ Reply to Thread