Closed Thread

Thread: How to remove an Industrial Piercing?

How to remove an Industrial Piercing?

Hi, I'm new here. And this has probably asked many times here before.
    But I got some few questions about this. Hoping for some helpful answers, thank you.

I had industrial piercing more than 2 years ago. Never had removed it since. And this will be my first time removing it if successful.

1. Do you have any suggestions on how I can remove my barbel here at home?
    I've tried doing it many times but fail. I wore gloves but still can't unscrew the ball. It seems like I'm endlessly turning it.

2. Can I just to a piercing shop and tell a piercer to remove it for me? Will they charge me for that? I have move to another city, far from the city where I had this piercing so I can't really go back there.

3. Do you have any suggestions on barbels or other rings that I can use for my industrial piercing? I'm thinking of something that will be easy to remove.
    Currently I have this long barbell with 2 balls as locks. It's long, probably about 3 inches length.

Thanks for reading and helping.

1. Try soaking it in warm water to loosen any possible material that might be sticking the threads. Dry it, and then using your gloves again, make sure you are turning the ball the right direction. The front ball you will have to turn to your right, the back ball will turn to your left.

2. If you still can't get the balls off then absolutely you can go to any piercer. It's hard to say if they'll charge you or not... shops all differ in that aspect.

3. I don't have an industrial so I really can't help on jewelry too much except make sure the bar isn't too short or too long.
    Piercings:
    Left and Right ears: 3mm 1st lobes, 12g 2nd lobes, 14g conches, 16g rooks, 16g anti-tragi; 12g septum and a 14g septum; left foot tattoo; right foot tattoo
    Future: squid tattoo on my thigh.

If you want to put new jewelry in it, I would go into a shop, and purchase a new barbell (they can make sure you get the correct length) and before you pay for it, explain that you can't get your current bar off.

My shop doesn't charge for jewelry changes at all if you are buying your jewelry there, and I went in with a friend a couple weeks ago, she wanted her dermal end changed out, the piercer couldn't get the old one off without traumatizing it, but they don't do returns on jewelry, so if she had paid for it beforehand, she would have been stuck with an end she couldn't use.
    Katie
    Current piercings: 7/16" lobes, 12g bridge, 8g septum, 14g labret, 12g nipples, 14g vch
    Retired piercings: 14g nipples, 10g seconds, 14g navel

agree with above comment that is definately the best thing you can do, otherwise you just risk unneccasary trauma and damage to your piercing
    Currently: 11/16" (18mm) lobes, right nostril piercing, bridge, medusa & 2x chest micro dermal anchors
    Retired: 11 cartilidge piercings, seconds & third lobe piercings, left nostril piercing & snakebites
    Tattoos: half sleeves and various other piece all over body

Quote Originally Posted by spankygurrl View Post
    1. Try soaking it in warm water to loosen any possible material that might be sticking the threads. Dry it, and then using your gloves again, make sure you are turning the ball the right direction. The front ball you will have to turn to your right, the back ball will turn to your left.

2. If you still can't get the balls off then absolutely you can go to any piercer. It's hard to say if they'll charge you or not... shops all differ in that aspect.

3. I don't have an industrial so I really can't help on jewelry too much except make sure the bar isn't too short or too long.
    I'm a little bit confused =) If I use my right hand to twist the upper ball, I twist it to my right?
    I'm still searching for some piercing shops here, I'm still less than a month in here >_<

a little bit of advice, find a piece of threaded jewelry that you can take the balls off of, hold in the same orientation as your industrial and practice taking off and putting on the balls until you are comfortable with it.
    Current Mods: 2g Lobes, 12g Triangular Fossa Piercings, Vertical Hood Split, 4g seconds
    Future Plans: Vertical Orbitals (in helix both sides), possibly body piercings

Quote Originally Posted by choroneko View Post
    I'm a little bit confused =) If I use my right hand to twist the upper ball, I twist it to my right?
    I'm still searching for some piercing shops here, I'm still less than a month in here >_<
    Yeah, it depends on the orientation of the ball... This trips me up almost every time with new piercings or ones I don't change much. If you take a barbell and hold it so that one ball is facing you and of course the other is facing away, the ball closest to you will have the rule of lefty loosey, righty tighty apply. The ball that's facing away will be turned around essentially, so you will have to do the opposite of turning it to the right to loosen it. This will be the same ways it's in your ear except you can't move it to in front or your face to see. So if you are trying to remove the back ball you will twist left, the front ball you will twist right...so yes if you use your right hand on the upper ball, twist right.
    But if you still can't get it off you may need help from your piercer, it may be two years old but fiddling with it for too long too hard is going to upset it. They should have tools to get stuck jewelry out.
    Piercings:
    Left and Right ears: 3mm 1st lobes, 12g 2nd lobes, 14g conches, 16g rooks, 16g anti-tragi; 12g septum and a 14g septum; left foot tattoo; right foot tattoo
    Future: squid tattoo on my thigh.

If you tell us what area you are in, you could probably get some suggestion on a good shop nearby.

It doesn't matter what hand you are using to take the ball off. Clockwise is going to tighten counterclockwise is going to loosen. Righty tighty lefty loosy confuses me when I'm loosening something backwards, so I just pretend my post is the center of the clock, and its easier that way for me.
    Katie
    Current piercings: 7/16" lobes, 12g bridge, 8g septum, 14g labret, 12g nipples, 14g vch
    Retired piercings: 14g nipples, 10g seconds, 14g navel

1. Do you have any suggestions on how I can remove my barbel here at home?
    I've tried doing it many times but fail. I wore gloves but still can't unscrew the ball. It seems like I'm endlessly turning it.
    Is it that the balls are spinning in your gloves (not getting good grip), or could it be that you have a threadless piece?
    My industrial, lips, and nose are all threadless, just pull them straight out, they can be twisted if the spring is loose enough.
    0.602 posts per day
    "Some older ladies can't resist a tinge of ginge. Keep looking." - Axon

Facebook

Use two mini pliers.

I recently had a barbell stuck in my tongue. Was worried about the ball coming loose while i was sleeping and had tightened it to the point that I could not open it again. Tried to open with my bare fingers and ended up with blisters and skin peeling from the force I was using to try to open it. A few weeks later, tried to open it, this time wearing rubber gloves but still no luck. Was considering going to a piercer but was worried about someone else handling my tongue presumably with pliers and also the price they would charge. Decided to try using pliers myself. Bought two mini pliers for $5 each. Clasped the bottom ball firmly with the pliers in a vertical position. Then clasped the top ball with the other one in a horizontal position and simply twisted this one. Ball was loose literally the second I twisted and not much force was needed. Barbell was full of dents from the pliers grips but at least it was finally out.

Closed Thread