Closed Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with a blowout?

What's wrong with a blowout?

Hey guys this is my first post. I was just wondering what was so wrong with having a blowout? I know that it's not good to get one but once it's healed, if it's not terribly pushed out, what's the big deal? My ears are stretched to 1" and I've had one on my left ear since I was at 3/4". I've been reading a few of the threads about blowouts and it seems people think it's really disgusting and have a bad attitude about it.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather not have a blowout, but now that it's healed and I've gotten used to it, I don't really see an issue. In fact, stretching with my left ear has been way easier than my right since I've had it. Since I got it, I've been stretching really slow so it doesn't get bigger, but it doesn't hurt and it doesn't look gross to me. I was just hoping someone could explain why I feel like others who haven't had blowouts think that they're better than me. That might not be the case, I was just hoping for some feedback. Please don't take this the wrong way! The last thing I want to do is start an argument. I just couldn't think of wording this in any other way than I did.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums.

Blowouts are often, though not always, a sign of impatience, carelessness, and ignorance. They are unsightly and can be avoided in many cases.

Thanks!

I was definitely impatient when I had gotten to bigger sizes. I had taken out the jewelry and gone done two sizes and massaged with oils but it didn't seem to work. It did get smaller though, and it's not a different color than the rest of my ear so I don't think it looks gross. At the end of the day it really is all about how I look at though, and not how others do. Thanks for the fast response. I've been loving this site so far

No problem. Glad to hear you're enjoying your stay so far.

It's certainly true; your own satisfaction level should dictate your course of action in this case. If you're happy with the current state of your ears leave them be. If you decide you want to change things, a mod practitioner could likely scalpel off the blowout. Cross that bridge if and when you get to it.

Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty happy with my ears at the moment. If the time comes where I really don't like it, I think I would go naked for a while, massage with oils, and work my way back up.

The only thing I have to add is that blowouts could make finding jewelry harder, because if your lobe had more depth to it then you would need jewelry with longer wearable area. In my opinion, I would hate limited jewelry choices due to something I could have previously prevented.
    But as long as you are happy, then woo hoo =D
    My name is Jessica and I'm married to Scott West. I have 0g lobes and 1, 2, 3 tattoos!
    "Let's put on pants and face the world" -Scott

a blowout to me signifies impatience, poor technique, & an unwillingness to relent (in a negative way), as many blowouts can be healed/fixed by downsizing. i see a blowout & judge that person as either ignorant of their own body, unwilling to admit & then put in the effort to correct a mistake, or both.

does that mean this judgment is always accurate? nope, sure doesn't. is it accurate of you? no idea, & it's not really important what i think of you unless we become some sort of friends. but that's the answer to your question, from my perspective, on what's wrong with having even a healed blowout.

additionally, i do find blowouts aesthetically repulsive, as they're essentially an accidental & untreated wound being flaunted on something i normally find quite appealing & sexy, a stretched piercing. you can liken it to seeing an open herpes sore on an otherwise beautiful pair of lips. i don't want to touch it, raw & fresh OR healed & of normalized coloration.

I have small blowouts in both my ears, I'm honestly not sure when I acquired them or how it happened, since I've been careful about stretching and haven't went too fast. I believe the one in my left ear was caused by attempting to slightly stretch my ear with a silicone plug, which turned out horribly and I would never recommend someone to do. I can easily hide mine by kind of twisting my ear (that sounds bad, but I'm not sure how to explain it) and they go back in my ear and aren't at all noticeable. they don't bother me and I don't have to buy larger diameter plugs like some people have to do.
    Piercings/Mods - Lobes: 1 1/4"(32mm), Vertical Bridge (surface bar), Double Nostrils, Philtrum, 8g center labret, Daith (L), Conch (R), Tragus (R)

Quote Originally Posted by lishd View Post
    you can liken it to seeing an open herpes sore on an otherwise beautiful pair of lips. i don't want to touch it, raw & fresh OR healed & of normalized coloration.
    I am so using that analogy next time I need to explain this to someone!
    My name is Jessica and I'm married to Scott West. I have 0g lobes and 1, 2, 3 tattoos!
    "Let's put on pants and face the world" -Scott

EscapeTheFate
    i don't find small, healed blowouts repulsive just because i'm so used to seeing blowouts that are MUCH worse. I also understand because I've made mistakes and gone too fast with stretching, I've been lucky and never had any lasting damage but i get that alot of people learn about stretching from unreliable sources and end up with blowouts. i don't really judge people about blowouts unless they're MASSIVE and hanging off the edge of an acrylic taper.

Closed Thread