+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Getting tattooed with a blood problem.

Getting tattooed with a blood problem.

I have a problem with my blood called Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia. This condition causes me to have lower blood platelets than your average person who typically has a count between 140,000 and 400,000. My count ping pongs between 40,000 and 100,000 typically. platelets are cells within the blood that aid in clotting. Now I took a chance and got one piercing since I discovered I had this condition, and I barely bled and so far it's healing up great, but a tattoo is another story. I got for my doctor's appointment on Tuesday to go over my numbers for the past three months, but my doctor said it's dangerous for me to be tattooed because I may bleed more than normal. I've already got two tattoos which I had done before I discovered I had this but I wanted to know has anyone gotten tattooed with this condition like me, or do you know someone who has? At what count would I be okay to get tattooed. There's not much information available on the internet and I would really appreciate any personal experiences, I just can't stand the thought of not being able to get tattooed ever again.
    Last edited by Rhaianon19; 06-26-2011 at 11:42 PM.
    I have:
    2g primary lobes, 10g second lobes, 18g third lobes, 18g nostril, 16g labret, 2 sternum microdermals, 2 Tattoos

I've never heard of this condition, but I'd think maybe if you got tattooed in smaller amounts at a time it might be better? And the higher your platelet count, the better? I have no idea if I'm being helpful because I don't know any specific numbers you should be at...
    Mods I have: 2g earlobeholes (R/L),14g Industrial (L), 12g Nipples (R/L), 8g Septum, and 16g Upper Lip Frenulum.

Retired: 14g seconds (R/L), 20g thirds (R/L), 20g fourth (L), &helix/cartilage project (R).

Things:
    - My collection (more or less, anyway).
    - My art Tumblr.
    - Personal Tumblr.

My name is Kat.

I've read that on maybe two sites but it's very hard to find information on it, and I think a lot of the times a tattoo artist won't tattoo you if you have a condition like mine even if you explain about getting tattooed in smaller doses. Yes, if my numbers are higher it would be better, but I would have to go and get my blood drawn to see how high my numbers are maybe every week or so. I appreciate any feedback
    I have:
    2g primary lobes, 10g second lobes, 18g third lobes, 18g nostril, 16g labret, 2 sternum microdermals, 2 Tattoos

Well you already got two tattoos. If this condition doesn't come on overtime, then you should be good. Just because you didn't know you had it before doesn't mean you didn't.
    But I also have one of those "oh the hell with it" personalities, and if an artist won't do it, then listen to the artist instead of finding a crappy artist that will.
    My name is Jessica and I'm married to Scott West. I have 0g lobes and 1, 2, 3 tattoos!
    "Let's put on pants and face the world" -Scott
    OldGrouchyGamer: Youtube, Twitch, Twitter, and Facebook

sometimes you bleed more, and it will depend on the site of the tattoo. I thought I would bleed a lot for my first one, as i tend to bleed heaps from tiny little scratches, but it wasn't so bad. I dont have your problem though, i sometimes have a HIGH platelet count.
    I would talk to your artist and explain your condition to them, they may be able to accomadate it, or they may say they dont want to take the chance that something could go wrong. I would seek a second opinion from another doctor, ask them if they feel like getting a tattoo is risky, etc. Second opions can help YOU make an informed descision.
    there are no flowers, no not this time.
    My Wish list

Quote Originally Posted by awesomeselflover View Post
    Well you already got two tattoos. If this condition doesn't come on overtime, then you should be good. Just because you didn't know you had it before doesn't mean you didn't.
    But I also have one of those "oh the hell with it" personalities, and if an artist won't do it, then listen to the artist instead of finding a crappy artist that will.
    That's my argument, I could have had it before and not bled a lot so who knows. No, I'd never go to an artist who I knew was crappy just because he or she would tattoo me with this condition.

Quote Originally Posted by allie1985 View Post
    sometimes you bleed more, and it will depend on the site of the tattoo. I thought I would bleed a lot for my first one, as i tend to bleed heaps from tiny little scratches, but it wasn't so bad. I dont have your problem though, i sometimes have a HIGH platelet count.
    I would talk to your artist and explain your condition to them, they may be able to accomadate it, or they may say they dont want to take the chance that something could go wrong. I would seek a second opinion from another doctor, ask them if they feel like getting a tattoo is risky, etc. Second opions can help YOU make an informed descision.
    Sometimes my platelet count is higher in the 100,000's. Tattoo shops are limited in my area so I'm afraid if I take the chance and try to talk to an artist they may refuse. I'm going to get a second opinion after my Tuesday appointment, from what I've read if your count is over 50,000 you're okay to get surgery, so I would think you would be okay to get a tattoo also? mostly i'm just looking for anyone who's gone what I'm going through with having this conditiona nd wanting to get tattooed again.
    I have:

Surgery is totally different than a tattoo... They have access to blood if you need a transfusion or anything...

But I would get a written ok from your doctor and talk to an artist and let them know that you know the risks, ect... It might also help if you can take in something they can read about your condition so they arent blindly saying yes or no to you. The artist can still turn you down, if they are uncomfortable working on you.

Conditions like that are usually hereditary and are something you are born with. I had to take a class on blood conditions because my platelet count is much too high and occasionally requires me to take blood thinning medications during road trips and long periods without movement.

Either way it is highly likely that this has been the case your entire life and if your first two tattoos were not a problem and didn't raise any questions, your body should react fine to another one assuming the artist is popper and clean and you be sure they pay close attention to bleeding if it occurs.
    Getting a second opinion from a health care professional is a good idea but also make sure that if you get tattooed again, tell your artist about the condition. Even if it determines if they do or do not tattoo you, it is a good thing for them to know the risks and such so they can help you be safe.
    I has: 1" primary lobes; 20g pinna x3; 20g thirds; 14g scaffold industrial; 14g tragus; 18g/16g forward helics x3; 10g helix; 14g sternum microdermals x3; 14g horizontal nipples; 14g VCH
    1 tattoo: Grayscale wooden fermata

I want: 0g conch punch; 14g conch; 18g forward helix; 16g snug; 16g daith; 12g philtrum; 18g nostril x3; 12g septum; 16g surface anti-brow x2; 16g eyebrow x2; 14g bridge

Retired: 14g septum; 14g conch; 16g lip; 0g seconds.

I like snow cones and serious is boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Antifreezsnocone View Post
    Conditions like that are usually hereditary and are something you are born with. I had to take a class on blood conditions because my platelet count is much too high and occasionally requires me to take blood thinning medications during road trips and long periods without movement.

Either way it is highly likely that this has been the case your entire life and if your first two tattoos were not a problem and didn't raise any questions, your body should react fine to another one assuming the artist is popper and clean and you be sure they pay close attention to bleeding if it occurs.
    Getting a second opinion from a health care professional is a good idea but also make sure that if you get tattooed again, tell your artist about the condition. Even if it determines if they do or do not tattoo you, it is a good thing for them to know the risks and such so they can help you be safe.
    My condition is not hereditary which is why it is called Idiopathic, it means they don't know the reason, also absolutely no one in my family has this. It was not like this my whole life either because when I got blood work done at eight and twelve years old they never discovered this.

I will get a second opinion but i have mixed feelings telling the artist because many artists will not work on you if you have diabetes or another condition which could interfere with bleeding, healing, etc.
    Last edited by Rhaianon19; 06-27-2011 at 04:55 PM.
    I have:

Oh I'm sorry, well I suppose all you can do is get a second oppinion from a doctor and try to find an artist willing to work with you despite the condition.
    I has: 1" primary lobes; 20g pinna x3; 20g thirds; 14g scaffold industrial; 14g tragus; 18g/16g forward helics x3; 10g helix; 14g sternum microdermals x3; 14g horizontal nipples; 14g VCH
    1 tattoo: Grayscale wooden fermata

I want: 0g conch punch; 14g conch; 18g forward helix; 16g snug; 16g daith; 12g philtrum; 18g nostril x3; 12g septum; 16g surface anti-brow x2; 16g eyebrow x2; 14g bridge

Retired: 14g septum; 14g conch; 16g lip; 0g seconds.

I like snow cones and serious is boring.

+ Reply to Thread