+ Reply to Thread

Thread: can you use a smaller gauge nose ring than what it was pierced with

can you use a smaller gauge nose ring than what it was pierced with

I got my nose pierced a few weeks ago, and I called my piercer and asked what size they use for nose piercings. He told me they use 18 gauge. So i bought some 18 gauge jewelry. It got here and was a lot smaller than my nose, so I'm going to assume my piercer didn't know what he was talking about or misheard me. Basically all i want to know is if i use smaller jewelry in my nose will it be okay? I'm assuming my nose is a 16 now. Thanks so much for the help

You don't want to change your jewelry this early, as the piercing is still healing. However, once it's healed you can wear the 18g piece provided you plan on staying at 18g; the piercing may shrink and you'd have to wait considerably longer before stretching back up to 16g.

It's also possible you were sent 20g on accident.

It's unusual for noses to be pierced at 16g. Not saying there's anything wrong with it, just that it's unusual.

More importantly, you should not be changing jewelry at all this early in the healing process. If you're just stocking up and weren't planning on changing it yet, please excuse my presumption.

eta: jellybean beat me! I type slowly.
    What people are saying about me:
    "I'm sorry that you're so bitter."

6g lobes (goal 4g/2g). 14g right nostril, vertical labret, and left helix. 16g navel. two smallish tattoos.

I just recently changed my nose studs for the first time after about 2 and a half months and I think I put in smaller jewelery. They definitely have some room to move around at 20g so I'm guessing I was pierced at 18g. I haven't noticed any problems but you definitely have to wait more than a few weeks.
    Currently have: 14g left lobe and 6g right lobe, 18g seconds, 16g helix (R), 18g high nostrils, 12g christina, 16g eyebrow (L), 5 tattoos
    Want: 00g lobes (hopefully 9/16" at some point), navel, vertical labret, 10g helix, more tattoos
    Retired: 16g labret

"Life is divine chaos. Embrace it, forgive yourself, breathe."

Thanks so much. And yeah I'm gonna wait until 8 weeks or so to change it, also the jewelry is really tiny but the sheet i got from baf says it's 18 gauge, and it's 2 different pieces so i doubt they messed up twice. Also i got it pierced with a captive ring not sure that matters lol.

Did you buy more captives? Because those are really difficult to put in on your own (in my experience). I'd go to your piercer for the change or you could mess up your piercing trying to get the little ball in.
    Currently have: 14g left lobe and 6g right lobe, 18g seconds, 16g helix (R), 18g high nostrils, 12g christina, 16g eyebrow (L), 5 tattoos
    Want: 00g lobes (hopefully 9/16" at some point), navel, vertical labret, 10g helix, more tattoos
    Retired: 16g labret

"Life is divine chaos. Embrace it, forgive yourself, breathe."

Nah, i bought these two

http://www.bodyartforms.com/productd...=6888&index=10

http://www.bodyartforms.com/productd...D=5157&index=2

Also i noticed the hoop one is super tight, i just kinda put it in the other side of my nose to see what it would look like.

Thanks again for the help

+ Reply to Thread