Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tattoo over scars help (pictures)

Tattoo over scars help (pictures)

I'd like to cover my scars with tattoos. They are no longer raised and are pretty smooth, but they do wrinkle more easily than the rest of my skin and are probably thinner.

what do you guys think? Could I place a design on top and hide the scar or would it screw up the design?

I have another scar on my leg but I feel like my stomach is a better candidate for covering.

Every body is different, but my mom got a tattoo over a scar on her ankle, specifically to cover the scar. Turned out beautifully. It's been like two years since she's gotten it done and it hasn't faded much. I would say that it should work just fine, as long as you have a tattooer that is comfortable doing it.

I have multiple self injury scars under all of my tattoos and it's affected them very little if at all.

Here's one when it was freshly done:

this arm is not nearly as severe as the other, but you can still hardly see anything- the scars are raised in the area of the headphones but once the tattoo healed it wasn't noticeable in the least.

Here's another when it was freshly done:

This one has quite a few severe scars underneath and you really can't even see them unless you examine my arm up-close.

And the one on my upper arm:

This is a terrible picture, but basically the slight bumps and inconsistencies that you can see if you look closely are still there, but they definitely don't jump out at you.

EDIT: In case you were wondering, the scars did hurt a lot more than my clean skin while being tattooed.
    i has
    1/2" primary lobes; 6g conches; 4g septum; 16g philtrum; 18g nostrils
    ~6 hours of tattoo work (a lot more coming, i need monies :[)
    i wants
    VCH; all of the tattoos

in the time of chimpanzees, i was a lady.

Hillary, I'm really glad you posted that, because I've been planning to get my thighs tattooed to cover scars, and I wasn't sure how it would look. I'm hopeful now (: Your tattoos are awesome by the way.
    If blood is thicker than water then, you'll drown quicker than we intended.

Thanks, I also have scars on my arms. Your's came out beautifullly! I definitely can't see anything under the microphone, but I believe you that they were severe It's great that you figured out to make your skin so beautiful after the damage of self injury.

Yeah- there are two very nasty lines under the microphone itself- you can see like, VERY faint inconsistencies in the shaded in parts but otherwise it's beautiful! I can try to take some healed pics of everything if you'd like to compare.
    i has
    i wants
    VCH; all of the tattoos

yeah those turned out very well Hillary! I have some scars on my chest and I'm going to get a tattoo there next week. I'm hoping they can make them less noticeable.

OP- I say go for it!
    26/27mm stretched lobes. rook. helix. double nostrils. septum

I've got soul for days

Many artists will work with the scars, especially one like on your stomach, to help conceal them within the tattoo as well. Ive seen many tattoos over scars that turn out amazing!

My recommendation would be to find a design that is MUCH busier to hide the scars. To the one who posted the photos, I can still easily see them. Granted I do this for a living and therefore notice things easier than others. (not putting down the tattoos just saying they don't conceal that well). The trick to hiding scars, old tattoos, etc is not just putting bold colors or solid ones over it. The trick is to incorporate the old thing into the new design. So if you make it busier then it is harder for your eyes to actually focus on it. This is why tribal is never a good idea for a cover up. So think of something that is busy and has stuff going on to cover up your scar.
    Owner: Industrial Primitives Training for the Body Art Industry
    Piercer: 23rd Street Body Piercing

Piercer, Modification Artist, Instructor, Consultant, All Around Fabulous Person (no, really I am)

And I have more motion sensor toys than you!

http://www.IndustrialPrimitives.com
    http://www.23sbp.com
    http://www.safepiercing.org

Oh- you can definitely still see them, Rick, but as someone who knew what they looked like before I got tattooed, it was a huge improvement that I was very pleased with. Thank you for the tips about solid colors- I had planned on keeping my tattoos black and grey, so lots of detail and shading was in the works anyway when I finish those pieces and move on to more. The purpose of my tattoos was actually not to cover scars, so I think it was less important to me to 'hide' them than it is to our OP. I'm not completely happy with the one on my upper arm, though, and that's where the most scarring is. I definitely need to find a better artist on the east coast go to go when I finish that one.
    i has
    i wants
    VCH; all of the tattoos

Closed Thread