+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Raised ink on my tattoo

Raised ink on my tattoo

Tonight while I was getting ready for bed I ran my fingers over my tattoo and noticed that some parts of it are raised slightly and the parts where it is the worse look slightly red. I've heard this could be caused by an allergic reaction to red or yellow ink and both those colors are in the piece but the only parts that are really raised are black. Right now I've just put lotion on it and am hoping it will be normal again in the morning but I'm scared this swelling might ruin the tattoo. Has anyone else had a similar experience or have any advice on how I should deal with this?
    Current: 0 gauge lobes, 10 gauge septum, 12 gauge nipples, Brand, 6+ hours of tattooing
    Future: many many more tattoos and fresh cutting over my current brand
    Retired: 14 gauge center labret

When my boyfriend's tattoos get dry they raise up a little and you can feel the whole design. A few days of lotion (he uses lubriderm advanced healing for extra dry skin) and within 2-3 days his tattoos are happy again. So you are right about trying some lotion at first, if the problem persists for more than a few days you should probably consult your artist and if they cant offer you advice on it then go see a doctor if it is an issue.
    Current Mods: 2g Lobes, 12g Triangular Fossa Piercings, Vertical Hood Split, 4g seconds
    Future Plans: Vertical Orbitals (in helix both sides), possibly body piercings

How old is it? Some of my tattoos stays swollen for a month but before you know it it's smooth as butter. I'm a fan of using Aquafor for the first 3 days and then switching to Cocoa Butter.
    Once in a blue moon when I take a cold shower my outline will raise up alittle. It's great.
    All you gotta know is I have holes and marks I wasn't originally born with. Just. Like. You.

The tattoo on my shoulder gets raised up sometimes, the guy who did it had a very heavy hand. If its hot out, or I don't feel well, it'll raise up. It's skin just like anything else, and I suppose it could be irritated, or its just your skin changing. I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts to itch or hurt. Then it may be a reaction to the ink.
    You can call me Chrissy.

I Have:
    1/2" lobes, 2g conches, 6g seconds, 18g nostrils, 12g nipples, 2g septum and 35 hours of tattoo work.

Is it the outline?
    I have a few spots on one of my tattoos where the outline raises here and there, and one tattoo that Ive never gotten around to having filled in that also raises here and there... its just scar tissue under the ink...

i've seen some tattoos that are almost 3 dimensional because the artist went a little too deep, blue is right, it's just scar tissue and i actually thought it was pretty cool that i could feel the tattoo with my hands.
    32mm lobes | 8ga nostrils | empty septum | 14ga philtrum | 14hrs tattooing
    (◕‿◕✿)

The tattoo is about six months old and was smooth as butter until yesterday. There has been a little bit of itching but for the most part it's just the texture that's abnormal. It is only the thick black outline and some areas that are solid black that are raised up so I'm guessing my artist just went a little deeper there. Dry skin actually sounds about right for what is going on, its finally fall here and I do always get dry skin this time of year. I think I'll just keep putting on lotion for the next few days and see how it goes. Thanks for all the replies, you guys totally prevented me from freaking out haha.
    Current: 0 gauge lobes, 10 gauge septum, 12 gauge nipples, Brand, 6+ hours of tattooing
    Future: many many more tattoos and fresh cutting over my current brand
    Retired: 14 gauge center labret

I have 4 tattoos and the outline will occasionaly raise up on all of them. Sometimes it can be a little bit itchy too. It usually happens if my skin is dry or if I'm tired or sick. I like to use lotion when this happens and it goes back to normal on it's own.
    But I noticed this phenomenon tend to disappear has the tattoos get older (well, maybe that's just me, I don't know). My first tattoo used to raise up when I worked a night shift once a week. This tattoo doesn't do that anymore, it happens just with the newer ones.

An allergic reaction to red ink is very dramatic, not just raised, so I doubt that's the issue. I have two tattoos that raise up periodically and itch, usually when I'm sick or having an allergic reaction to something I've ingested (food or medication), or to something that has been touching the tattoo (lotion or wool). Both tattoos are fairly solid black lines in delicate areas, and one has been covered up and still pokes through the new design. It comes and goes, and I've heard enough stories from other people to not worry too much about it.
    15mm and 16g lobules, 6g scaphoid fossa, 16g crura of antihelix, 16g crus of helix, 14g cavum concha, 8g columella, 16g frenulum linguae, 14g superior umbilicus, 14g longitudinal mons pubis, artificial pigmentation of the dermis

Quote Originally Posted by chloe.faith View Post
    i've seen some tattoos that are almost 3 dimensional because the artist went a little too deep, blue is right, it's just scar tissue and i actually thought it was pretty cool that i could feel the tattoo with my hands.
    Yup, that.
    I have one that's almost permanently raised all the time... you get used to it. Moisturizing helps in the short term but I don't think you can actually get rid of it.
    /shrug

RO: I've never left poop on someone's dick.

+ Reply to Thread