+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can you really use too much lotion on a new tattoo?

Can you really use too much lotion on a new tattoo?

Bah. So I've been a little paranoid about this one.
    The peeling is normal, has been normal. My artist told me you can never use enough lotion, and just the other day I had someone tell me that using too much lotion will fade it out. Well I've been using lots of lotion! lol.
    Somehow I don't think this is true, yet I'm still paranoid about it.
    The first stage of peeling is nearly done, and I've got that milky/faded texture to the ink and my skin, so just waiting for the 2nd phase to start. I'm always super paranoid with tattoos, every artist is different and offers different aftercare, and then you hear different things from people all the time, so nothing is really set 'n stone. :0
    I wont use ointments at all, btw. :-/

In my opinion, you can use too much lotion. I've had tattoos get all weird and bubbly if I've lotioned it a lot.
    However, I feel like it honestly takes a lot to lose colour in tattoos... If they're done right.

Yeah, I've had no bubbles at all. lol. Idk, I had my first tattoo at 14 and DID NOT take care of it right, was told to use neosporin, but that just made it scab up, and then I picked the scabs when it got dry. That has since been covered up, but I lost all of the ink, and it ended up looking like this big gross semi-colored scar, you can still see the scar shape. Painful reminder, haha. I think at this point I wont be losing ink, just wanted to see what people had to say about the whole lotion thing. I definitely trust my artist so

My boyfriend was not allowed to use anything on his tattoos for the first three days other than dial soap 3-6 times a day. His artist has a non conventional way of healing tattoos, wash with anti bacterial soap let air dry for at least 5 minutes (max 6) and then wrap in plastic wrap to let body heat and air moisture keep it hydrated. Then after that he can apply lotion whenever it gets itchy. He sat through a full tattoo initial out lining through full shading in one sitting and has had very little ink reject, maybe 0.5% of it needs a touch up. He has seen the same artist for all of his tattoos and some are 2.5 years old and are as bright as the day he had it done initially.

I would say from his experience it is ok to use lotion any time the tattoo gets itchy.

Edit: His never once cracked, peeled, or had any scabs because of the method used and all the ink with the exception of miniscule amounts stayed.
    Last edited by Detashi; 06-28-2010 at 09:58 PM.

Yeah, I was told to keep my bandage on overnight, and to let it heal naturally for the first 2-3 days until it begins to crack and scab. I started the second day. It seems to be healing normally.

yeah don't over do it or your scab will get blobby and heal wrong. I have 10+ tattoos and I find that lotioning once a day opposite of your shower works best, with the odd additional one when it feels dry and tight. Only use a thin layer too. So if you shower in the morning, hold of till the late afternoon/evening to lotion.

I've only ever had blob effect when I used ointment on my first tattoo. I've never had problems with lotion. I use it every time my tattoo gets dry. It's fine, the ink has even darkened in some areas, well the areas that are done peeling haha.

I've gotten lots of tattoos, and I've been told that you want to use just enough lotion to cover it, and that too much lotion can mess up your tat. However, I haven't noticed any problems - I personally don't think lotion affects the healing process (other than to speed it up), and I usually use quite a bit to relieve itching / pain. Also- after the first stage of healing, your tattoo will look a little milky or faded. Once it's completely healed the sharpness will come back. The only thing that will mess up the color is if you rip off skin that's not ready to come off or something crazy like that. Hope this helps.

I've healed the majority of my tattoos using unscented lotions applied only when the tattoo starts to get dry/tight and only after a few days after the sitting. In fact.. I have an entire arm that was healed using this method. No issues at all.

Yes, I was told to wait 2-3 days to apply lotion, but I was told to wash it the morning after. This new tattoo artist I'm going to told me its really unnecessary to use anything but an unscented lotion, to wait until it starts to crack and scab to actually start applying the lotion. I had more success using this method than any other so far.
    With my first tattoo I was told to use bag balm, and it really messed up my tattoo. I'm going in soon to have it fixed up a bit, as it has a slightly faded effect
    My new tattoo is doing great, its still peeling, and itches off and on. I don't think I've had any tattoo take this long to heal but it looks great.
    I may need to have it gone over again, because it looks like he went pretty light, typical because my skin is so fair, it almost looks like a temporary tattoo. I'll have to post some photos. I love it though!

+ Reply to Thread