+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New tattoo, 1 day old, and swelling?

New tattoo, 1 day old, and swelling?

This is my 7th tattoo, I have never had swelling this bad. I'm sure it's normal, it's on the inside of my right forearm, and I also bumped it a few times at work today.
    How long will this last, and what can I expect to happen if the swelling doesn't go down, and I experience other symptoms?

That's a very tender spot. I recently had my inner arm tattooed and it swelled up pretty badly too and was tender. My swelling went down in a couple of days. Just try to be careful about bumping it. Follow the aftercare regime your tattoo artist gave you and otherwise leave it alone. It might take longer or shorter for the swelling to go down for you (since we all heal differently) but at this point you should not be too concerned. How big is the tattoo?

Swelling shouldn't last. If it last for three days then I'd be concerned and you should go back to the artist.
    "too weird to live too rare to die" Hunter S Thompson
    A dying man couldn't make up his mind which place to go to --both have their advantages
    "heaven for the climate, or hell for the company" Mark Twain
    "There goes the last lingering thread of my heterosexuality" Patty Bouvier

It's about 3 inches long, and 2 1/2 inches wide.

It's a little better today, it's started to itch, and scab over, need to break out the lotion.

Mine is on my right forearm and around the same size as yours; mine was quite swollen and pink around the edges for about 4-5 days (going down gradually during the 4th and 5th, then was no longer swollen). I was worried about it too since my first two tattoos didn't really swell at all, but a handful of people told me they all had at least some swelling on the forearms :3
    Currently: 5/8" lobes, 2g conches, magnetic implant, tongue bifurication/frenectomy, ~27 hours of tattoo work

Planned: 14g philtrum, many more tattoos, dimples, lip reconstruction

My name is Brittany! :3

Just going to add that I got two tattoos on the same day, one on my wrist and one on my forearm. My wrist didn't swell at all, but my forearm was swollen for 3-5 and then it settled down. So I think, judging by what others have said, this is a spot that swells a little bit more. Just keep an eye on it, sounds like it's fine :-)
    Current: 0g lobes, 12g septum, 18g right nostril, 16g right industrial, standard second lobes, ten tattoos.

my last tattoo did swell, but my first one didn't, and they were pretty much in the same postion, just opposite sides. They were also by the same artist, so who knows? But if it lasts a while i would definately go back to your artist
    there are no flowers, no not this time.
    My Wish list

+ Reply to Thread