+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wrong shading on tattoo/bruise? (pictures)

Wrong shading on tattoo/bruise? (pictures)

On March 6th I got my second tattoo. I did my homework and went with a very reputable tattoo place which was 2 hours away from home. We have local tattoo places here, but I wanted someone I knew had done tattoos on people I knew, had been in business for a long time (as the ones here have been there less than a year) and had a strong reputation. When I left, I was fairly please with my tattoo. The next morning, however, I was concerned, but not in a panic quite yet. Here I sit now, two weeks later, not exactly what I would call "happy" with my tattoo. I don't want to panic in case this is fairly normal, but yet I don't really think it is. I'm rather upset too considering I specifically picked this place because of it's reputation. They are a very well known in the area. </p>

</p>

Around the edges of the tattoo was very red and appeared to almost be bruised. No biggie. I had my husband take a picture for me so that I could see it (it's on my back). It appeared (to me) like there was shading done in areas that should not have been shaded. (OUTSIDE of the tree) I thought perhaps the skin was simply irritated and starting to bruise, and my husband agreed. This morning I tried to take a picture again, and they are still there. (Forgive the picture below...I can't get a good picture of my own back so I did my best) It makes it look like the tattoo smudged! I'm not exactly a happy camper, and mainly I'm looking for input on if this is normal, or if it is indeed shading in the spots of concern., and if there is anything that can be done about it. They are MUCH lighter than they were so I'm hoping since it has only been two weeks perhaps I just need more time and it will work it's way out. I just don't know.
    </p>

</p>

On a side note, when discussing the tattoo, I wanted the whole tattoo black...not shaded. The artist talked me into trying it shaded first because if I decided I wanted it filled in solid he could come back and do that, where if I went all black to begin with, he couldn't remove it.
    </p>

Re: Wrong shading on tattoo/bruise? (pictures)

Looks like the artist did grey wash shading which does make the skin look that weird red/grey color when fresh. It also looks like he didn't have the right calibration at ALL. The line work seems to have disappeared in some areas, and other spots look a little blown out to me. Maybe the shading smudges will fade out, it looks like they will since its only been two weeks and its all gone so much lighter.Go back to him and make him touch it up and fill it in. Or go to someone that listens to their customers and does a good job. </p>
    Petra - I attack from the back, because it's easy; and I can assail while wearing very nice jewelry:
    5/8" lobes, 8g + 6g R flats, 14g R daith, 12g L/R nostrils, 2g septum, torso micro. 23hrs tattooing.

The shading looks like a mistake to me. It looks lighter in the second pic though. Maybe it is bruising?</p>

</p>

Looks like some of the branches arent finished either, specifically on the left side about half way up. Looks like the branch just ends and was missed.
    </p>

Incredibly frustrating. I spent so much time researching and visiting different tattoo artists. I feel like a fool. Oh well....it is what it is at this point.</p>

Of course they "stand by their work" and will do touch-ups within the first year. I'm curious if I should go back to the same place though considering I am so disappointed. I have a hard time letting someone touch it up when they are the one to mess up in the first place. Thanks for your reply. My hubby kept trying to tell me it looked fine and I was being over-critical. </p>

And yes, the branch on the left has bothered me since day one. The one branch on the bottom on the right side doesn't seem right to me either...it's like he completely forgot to shade that. Regardless, it isn't exactly what I wanted anyway. I was looking for more of a tree outline/silhouette, not a "realistic" looking tree....I took his advise on the shading since it did make sense to me, but it isn't what I pictures it to be in my head. IDK....opinions on if I should fill it in completely? Would that just look too stupid? </p>

</p>

Maybe go to the same place, but to a different artist there. What baffles me is his shading is incorrect; it has like 3 different light sources. The right side of the tree trunk's white splotch is really out of place. No one should have to talk to you into or try to convince you to get it done one way or that it looks nice. Fix it until you're happy with it! </p>
    Petra - I attack from the back, because it's easy; and I can assail while wearing very nice jewelry:
    5/8" lobes, 8g + 6g R flats, 14g R daith, 12g L/R nostrils, 2g septum, torso micro. 23hrs tattooing.

[quote user="babypietattoo"]</p>

Looks like the artist did grey wash shading which does make the skin look that weird red/grey color when fresh. </p>

[/quote]</p>

This was originally done on my chest piece when I got it outlined. There was smoky shading with this ^ method but it was really for the piercer to use as a guide when I came back to get the rest done. My skin was red "bruised" looking like that, but it faded completely away, including the grey that remains after the skin's redness disappears. However my dad has the same method of shading for one of his tattoos and it stayed (the remaining grey i mean, but it was meant to). The intent of yours was probably to fade a little for the tree's shaded look. Personally I think the artist didn't do a great shading job, particularly to the left of the three. Sorry, I don't want to hurt your feelings saying that but that's what it looks like to me. Anyway it's a really easy fix though, so don't get upset. </p>

[quote user="babypietattoo"]</p>

Go back to him and make him touch it up and fill it in. Or go to someone that listens to their customers and does a good job. </p>[/quote]
    Duality is the ultimate reality.

No hurt feelings here as I feel the same and which is why I posted here. I think I was looking to make sure I wasn't just being over critical of the work. I agree with everything that has been said here as far as the shading being off.....the differences in light sources..... branches not being finished...so I thank everyone for the input. </p>

I haven't called yet to talk to the artist. I have so much going on right now with work and home life I just don't have the time. Everything should be calming down here after this weekend so I will probably call him Monday, express my concerns, and I can even email him the pictures if he wants to see what I am talking about before going in. If I don't feel comfortable with his reaction I may just go to a different artist altogether. I kinda want to feel out if he sees the work as a problem before going back to ask him to fix it. If he doesn't see it, I really don't want him doing it again. I think that's fair. </p>

Now I will rant a bit...I did call this afternoon to talk to the artist. I didn't get to speak to him (not sure if he wasn't there or what) so one of the piercers talked to me. I explained my issues, and they asked me to stop by to check it out. I asked if I could email pictures since I live two hours away. He said he would show the artist the pictures and have him get back in touch with me tonight. I was given the wrong email address to send the email to. Called back, was given the right one, still wouldn't work. So I found another one off their website altogether, and emailed to there. I got a call back from AGAIN the piercer, not the tattoo artist who did it. He said "Well he didn't mess up. Those "smudges" are shading under the branches to make the tree "pop" more. *sigh* That very well may be his intent, but to me, it looks like smudges...sorry! Might make sense to make that argument if the "shading" was the whole length of the tree branch but to just be sticking out with no rhyme or reason, in all different directions...NO!
    </p>

He told me that I needed to wait at least a month and a half to come back in and have the tree filled in if I chose to do so, so when that time has passed I can either just come on in and have it done or call ahead and talk to the artist about it. I have no idea if he will be charging me to fill it in completely or not. </p>

I'm sitting here going over my options. Option #1...go to another place altogether and have them fill the tree in if they would even do it. Don't tattoo artists normally not like to touch other artist's work? Option #2 go back to this artist and tell him ONLY to fill in the tree. I think I will choose option 1 if the original artist is going to charge me to fill it in anyway. Then from there I can either have someone else go over those shaded areas to make what appears to be clouds behind the tree.......OR look into tattoo removal and see if it's possible to just remove only those shaded areas on the outside of the tree. I'm not sure how tattoo removal works as far as laser removal goes. Is it pretty accurate that it will ONLY remove the area of the tattoo that the laser touches or does it have a feathering sort of effect? (I know I'm probably making no sense at all) I don't want the tree gone...just the shading on the outside of the tree.... </p>

I'm no tattoo artist, but to me that looks like an easy fix by a good artist. I think you should find another artist because the place you went to seems to be...I don't know, a little out of order. Because whatever the artist's intent, you're not happy with the outcome and consequently nobody can argue with that. I think option #3, look into a different place and see what a different artist has to say or if they can/want to help before going back to your original artist. </p>
    Duality is the ultimate reality.

Thank you all so much for your replies. I really appreciate it :0)</p>

I thought I would make myself feel better by printing out pictures, and drawing over one with a pen until the picture looks the way I wanted it to. Here is what I came up with...(top picture being the way it is right now)
    </p>

</p>

</p>

I like mine MUCH better. Added some extra branches on the right side of the tree to make it look more even...I like it filled in better than the shaded look.....all and all THIS is what I wanted. Do you think it would be inappropriate to bring this along with me and just say THIS...THIS IS WHAT I WANT </p>

+ Reply to Thread