+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Painful and swollen industrial (top hole)

Painful and swollen industrial (top hole)

I've had my industrial since Saturday and the top hole (the one close to my head) has been constantly really sore and painful. It looks red and swollen (atleast I THINK it's swelling). There's like this bump on the side of the piercing but not on the actual enter and exit holes, its on the side of my ear facing away from my head...I don't have a picture so I'm trying to explain this the best I can. Is this normal? :s</p>

Also, if you didn't see my other thread, I had it done with two cbrs instead of the barbell. If that makes any difference.</p>

</p>

The bottom hole is fine,btw. :3 </p>

</p>

EDIT:
    </p>

Here's a couple of pics (sorry they aren't very clear, i took them from my phone):</p>

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/5263/img00132edit.jpg</p>

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/4020/editindus.jpg</p>I drew little arrows pointing to the bump so you'd see it...hopefully.

Re: Painful and swollen industrial (top hole)

</p>

I actually had the same issue when I got my industrial done. But mine was with a bar. Anyways, it can be normal, but if your question doesn't get answered, I would check with your piercer. They'll be able to help you best. </p>

But when I first got mine done, my main issue was the fact that I kept sleeping on the side with my piercing, and I kept rubbing it or catching my hair on it. And people told me that doing a sea salt soak will help it out.Do a soak about 2 to 3 times a day and it will help the bar. What I did was put 3 teaspoons of salt into 1 cup of warm water and stirred it in. then I soaked my ear for about 5 minutes. Regular table salt works if you don't have sea salt. Just make sure you stir it in all the way.
    </p>

Wow, bad luck right from the start I guess...since Saturday is not a long time to have your industrial, less than a week, and it sounds like it's already developed some hypertrophic scarring. Without a pic, it's impossible to be sure but that's what it sounds like to me as it's kind of next to the hole.</p>

</p>

CBRs are notorious for creating hypertrophic scarring, some people have less problems than others, but industrials are always finnicky.</p>

</p>

Definitely sound advice to avoid irritating the piercing in any way if at all possible. This means keeping hair out of it, glasses/sunglasses bumping the piercings and defnitely don't sleep on it for a month or two if you can help it.</p>

</p>

As for the aftercare, sea salt soaks will definitely help with the scarring...you should be doing them for your healing piercing anyway. The proportions given above, however, are way out of kilter and way too strong. You should have 1/4 teaspoon (not 3!) per 250ml water. If you make the SSS too strong, you'll dry your ear out and dry all the lovely new healing skin in the forming fistulas.You should try and soak for ten minutes if you can, at the strength I have given you. No more than twice a day for the ten minutes.
    </p>

</p>

Please try and avoid using table salt...able salt has a whole bunch of chemicals and other stuff which are not good for your healing piercings. Sea salt is highly preferable. I heat it up in the microwave for about a minute which is just right for me to stick my ear in without it being too hot. It's important that the SSS be as warm as possible without burning so that you draw blood and circulation to the area, especially as cartilage does not have it's own blood flow. </p>

</p>

Also, I recommend you try a chamomile tea bag compress....I take a pure chamomile tea bag and dip it in a cup of SSS mixed up per above and press it to the offending bump. I do this for about ten minutes, moistening in the cup every couple minutes. You can also 'make' the chamomile tea in the SSS cup and soak your ear in the combination water. I've been dealing with a bump on my tragus and I do a compress in the morning and a soak at night to cover both bases.</p>

</p>

Some people also have success using tea tree oil but I'd give the chamomile and SSS a go for a few weeks and see how that goes before trying the tea tree, especially as your piercing is so fresh, because tea tree can be a little harsh. Come get some more advice about using tea tree a few weeks down the track if the chamomile and SSS is not working. </p>

</p>

Sounds like you may have caught it in the initial stages of forming and if you start proper aftercare (and be consistent) now, you have a good chance of getting rid of it before it gets much worse and will be harder to get rid of.
    </p>
    Pierced, Punched, Stretched, Scalpelled & Magnetised

Yeah, sometimes table salt works in a tight situation, but like the other person said, Sea Salt works best. I didn't have sea salt at the time and I worked with what I had. I didn't soak mine everyday either so I didn't have issues with drying out my piercing. </p>

but best of luck to you. Hope you can get to keep both piercings, and you may want to let your piercer know, because if you do plan to change your CBRs to a bar, you may want to do it sooner rather then later on. May help save your piercing in the end, but that's just my opinion. </p>

Here's a couple of pics (sorry they aren't very clear, i took them from my phone):</p>

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/5263/img00132edit.jpg</p>

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/4020/editindus.jpg</p>

I drew little arrows pointing to the bump so you'd see it...hopefully.
    </p>

That picture makes it look really really shallow... like the jewelry might reject... The "bump" looks like the jewelry under the skin... If Im wrong let me know, if Im right... have it removed and repierced later on down the road... But you might have to have both holes redone if thats the case so they line up later on. </p>
    ~Ann
    Forum Rules
    How to Stretch
    Before asking to get into the umodded section PLEASE ensure you meet all requirements. If you meet the requirements I will grant you access, if not I will ask that you to read the requirements. I will totally judge you if you ask me for permission and don't meet them.

Yep, definitely agree with Blue after seeing the pics....the bump follows the exact shape of the ring and does not look like hypertrophic scarring, which was my assumption before seeing the pics.</p>

</p>

Whatever happens, good luck </p>
    Pierced, Punched, Stretched, Scalpelled & Magnetised

Here's another pic: http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/3421/img00139o.jpg</p>

It looks like there's enough skin there, but when you're actually looking directly at it it looks worse...:s
    </p>

In the first pictures you showed it does not look like there is not enough skin there... The second one makes it look super swollen. But if there isnt enough skin there it will probably reject... Go have a different piercer than the one who pierced it look at it...
    </p>
    ~Ann
    Forum Rules
    How to Stretch
    Before asking to get into the umodded section PLEASE ensure you meet all requirements. If you meet the requirements I will grant you access, if not I will ask that you to read the requirements. I will totally judge you if you ask me for permission and don't meet them.

[quote user="bluebananaeater"]</p>

In the first pictures you showed it does not look like there is not enough skin there... The second one makes it look super swollen. But if there isnt enough skin there it will probably reject... Go have a different piercer than the one who pierced it look at it...
    </p>

[/quote]</p>

Okay. Can't do it until Saturday,though. D:
    </p>Now I'm super worried. :3

+ Reply to Thread