Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tattoo Swelling

Tattoo Swelling

I tried searching and couldn't find a whole lot, so I wanted to ask people:</p>

For how long may a tattoo be swollen after it has been done? Obviously I just got this yesterday so I don't expect magic to happen right away... but this one is much more swollen than my other two were (which were not at all, really). Aside from the swelling, this one feels just as much "burning" sensation as the others felt.</p>

But this one is very puffy, almost ballooned. Do you think the swelling may be significant because it's on an area where skin is more sensitive (than say my back, which had no problems), or a high-movement area?</p>

I know I'm probably jumping the gun a little bit, but I just want to be careful and to let this new baby heal as nicely as possible.</p>

Here are a few pictures of the swelling:</p>

</p>

</p>

The redness extends a little over an inch beyond the actual art of the tattoo.</p>

Thanks in advance! </p>

EDIT - Oops, the first pic is from yesterday, before it became as swollen as the second picture.
    </p>
    Currently: 5/8" lobes, 2g conches, 2g septum, magnetic implant, tongue bifurication/frenectomy, ~27 hours of tattoo work

Planned: 14g philtrum, many more tattoos, lip reconstruction

My name is Brittany! :3

Re: Tattoo Swelling

How long did it take to get done/ what kind of needles? When i got the background on my last tattoo done it was like a 25 mag and it took like 4 or5 hours to do. So the next day i would say my arm was about 3xs the normal size. I heal pretty fast but it was a lot of damage. It probably was not swollen after like 4/5 days maybe a little before not positive. But that's a lot of trauma done to your skin so swelling is expected (especially in that location). If it hurts a lot take some Advil (like every 4-6 hours like it says on the bottle) this will help with any pain and the swelling will go down. take good care of it, cause it looks great! I have a sugar skull too so im partial to them but it's bitchin! </p>
    9/16 lobes, 10g 2nds (formerly 3rds), 16g double nostrils, 12g nipples, 16g tragus, 14g helixes, 20+ hours tattoo work
    Retired: 14g l labret, 16g 2nds

i have a tattoo in the exact same spot and it was very swollen and red 4 like a week after i got it done. i was worried about mine too b/c i had never had it happen on any of my other tattoos in diff locations but it healed up just fine.
    </p>

Yeah, just going to add that I got two tattoos in one day (one on my wrist, one on my forearm) and my wrist didn't really swell at all while my forearm was swollen for about a week. After that it was all fine Just watch it and baby it, like anything new. </p>
    Current: 0g lobes, 12g septum, 18g right nostril, 16g right industrial, standard second lobes, ten tattoos.

Thank you </p>

And I'm not too knowledgeable about tattoo needles, but it took a bit over an hour for the entire piece to be done, if I remember right. I like the Advil idea. Normally I avoid taking it too often because I get chronic migraines and am worried about developing stomach problems (like they warn on the bottle). But it's been a while since I've taken any ibuprofen so I think for tomorrow it will be okay </p>

I'm going to keep applying A&amp;D tomorrow. My tattoo artist told me to leave the bandage on for two hours, then gently wash with very light antimicrobial soap, then apply A&amp;D a few times a day to keep it moist (thin layer). I did that today, and in the purple and black parts it started to look almost like paint.</p>

I'm hopeful about it. Maybe a couple more days will do the trick.
    </p>
    Currently: 5/8" lobes, 2g conches, 2g septum, magnetic implant, tongue bifurication/frenectomy, ~27 hours of tattoo work

That's a pretty tender spot for tattooing so it's not surprising it's raised. The swelling could last a couple days or so. Mine didn't swell up too bad (it was pretty much done after a couple days).

Yeah.. I think the tender meat swells..</p>

Try Emu oil to help take care of the swelling.
    </p>
    'twould be folly to mistake my kindness for weakness.

Mods: 1/2" lobes; 12g Vertical nipples; 10g VCH; 12g Triangle; 8g tongue. Full sleeve + 10 other tattoos; tribal scarification
    Future mods: Phoenix tattoo

Read my Blog: Waking From A Mean Sleep

Okay, so I've been doing A&amp;D a few times a day when it feels dry, and Emu oil at least once a day so far. It's almost time (according to my tattoo artist's guidelines) to switch to a gentle lotion to moisturize.</p>

I have Vaseline Intensive Care lotion for dry skin, but in the ingredients I read "fragrance". Should I use my completely fragrance-free St. Ives sensitive, dry skin healing lotion instead? Both say they're for dry skin but the Vaseline lists fragrance. I've heard good things about the Intensive Care but want to be safe as possible.
    </p>

I don't honestly know if it makes a difference, but to be safe I'd personally go with fragrance free lotion. Better safe than sorry. eh?
    </p>
    Current: 0g lobes, 12g septum, 18g right nostril, 16g right industrial, standard second lobes, ten tattoos.

Yeah, I agree. Like I said, I've heard good things about the Intensive Care, but it feels more worth it and safe to go with the St. Ives. :3</p>

Man, this thing is drying out like crazy. I'm having to apply ointment or oil several times today.
    </p>

Closed Thread