+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how long til I can wear silicone?

how long til I can wear silicone?

my ears have been at their current size for about two weeks, I haven't got any open wounds/tears or anything that would potentially stick to silicone either. I've heard mixed things. I read one piercing website that said Kaos plugs/eyelets were safe to wear in fresh piercings, and something else that said it was absolutely dangerous to do so.</p>

I just bought two pairs of silicone earskins for my current size that will be arriving tomorrow, think it's safe to put 'em in tomorrow?</p>

</p>

also noting that I haven't had any adverse effects to any materials so far, even acrylic, and no reactions to the black O-rings. don't want my ears sticking to these guys and tearing! </p>

Re: how long til I can wear silicone?

The soonest I've worn silicone after afresh stretch was about 3 week,
    I think. I only use the paralyne coated kind though, they're less tacky. If your ears
    aren't ready, the earskins probably wont even stay open since they're so thin.
    If you do try tomorrow, be sure to use a good amount of oil when
    inserting, and maybe a little when removing.
    </p>
    Petra - I attack from the back, because it's easy; and I can assail while wearing very nice jewelry:
    5/8" lobes, 8g + 6g R flats, 14g R daith, 12g L/R nostrils, 2g septum, torso micro. 23hrs tattooing.

i am not sure what website you read that said silicone could be worn in fresh piercings, i would generally steer clear. directly from the kaos website.

Can silicone be used in fresh piercings?

No, silicone should only be used in healed piercings or piercings that have been previously stretched and healed...period.

that being said, listen to your body, you are going to know how well your piercing is healed better then us.
    I find unique fabrics and make beautiful things with it
    www.goldstitchesfashion.com

Also, when you do wear them, some people have found it helpful to keep them well oiled. While I've never had any issues, some people say that silicone dries out their ears a lot, so using oil will help keep your ears from drying out and sticking to the silicone. </p>

alright, guess i'll give them a try when they come in. my ears are pretty loose already, but if the earskins don't stay open I'll take that as my cue to wait longer, easy enough.</p>

</p>

also hah, I don't remember where I read the thing that said silicone is safe for fresh piercings, but it seemed fishy to me since I've read bad things about anything other than metal or glass for fresh piercings on here. figured it was worth asking anyway!
    </p>

<P mce_keep="true">[quote user="jellybean"]

Also, when you do wear them, some people have found it helpful to keep them well oiled. While I've never had any issues, some people say that silicone dries out their ears a lot, so using oil will help keep your ears from drying out and sticking to the silicone. </P>

[/quote]</P>

Mine don't dry out either, which is weird because I generally have dry skin. The longest I've ever worn silicone (earskins) was like 2 days, though, so...</P>
    wissaho: Does this count as an Indian Summer?
    ashley: Not until someone drowns in a pool of sweat and curry.

<P mce_keep="true">[quote user="wissabo"]

[quote user="jellybean"] </P>

Also, when you do wear them, some people have found it helpful to keep them well oiled. While I've never had any issues, some people say that silicone dries out their ears a lot, so using oil will help keep your ears from drying out and sticking to the silicone. </P>

[/quote]</P>

Mine don't dry out either, which is weird because I generally have dry skin. The longest I've ever worn silicone (earskins) was like 2 days, though, so...</P>

[/quote]</P>

I have dry skin as well and have had no problem with silicone. I put in a pair of kaos regular tunnels when I was at 6g, two weeks after stretching, and kept them in for the duration of my time spent at 6g (2+ months) and had no problems whatsoever. Just make sure you keep up with cleaning them and if your ears do dry out, maybe invest in some jojoba or emu oil. </P>

<P mce_keep="true">Yeah, and we had a guy living with us for like 5 months, who was at 00g, I think. He wore the SAME pair of red silicone eyelets the entire time he lived with us.</P>
    wissaho: Does this count as an Indian Summer?
    ashley: Not until someone drowns in a pool of sweat and curry.

+ Reply to Thread