+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is there a 'standard' size for tongue rings?

Is there a 'standard' size for tongue rings?

I'm just wondering because I got my tongue pierced 3 weeks ago and I'm wondering if the lengths of the barbells are all the same lengths?
    </p><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><div id="refHTML"></div>
    Current mods~ 1/2" lobes, 14g lobes, right industrial, right tragus, left eyebrow,16g septum, tongue, 14g snakebites, nipples.
    Want~Left tragus, left cartilage, left lobe, sternum.

Re: Is there a 'standard' size for tongue rings?

I don't have a tongue piercing, but I know that there are different lengths of barbells that are used. They will often put a longer barbell in when you first get in pierced and then downsize it after the swelling subsides. Perhaps someone who knows more about tongue piercings can give some common lengths... </p>

they can come in any length. you should go back and have them put in a shorter one too, so you don't break a tooth. i almost did, on an acrylic ball even! get it switched out. :] </p>

and this is really not directed towards you personally, but in general: they aren't called tongue rings. that irks me for some reason. they're barbells. ive honestly never seen someone with a ring in thier tongue.</p>

</p>

quick add on they do sell them so make sure you dont buy them too short or too long because they can cause some seriouse damage.
    </p>

You should check with your piercer. Anatomy is different from person to person so if you don't know, s/he should know what size and length you were pierced at and what you can wear in your piercing without complications. </p>
    'twould be folly to mistake my kindness for weakness.

Mods: 1/2" lobes; 12g Vertical nipples; 10g VCH; 12g Triangle; 8g tongue. Full sleeve + 10 other tattoos; tribal scarification
    Future mods: Phoenix tattoo

Read my Blog: Waking From A Mean Sleep

<P mce_keep="true">Tho the most common size of barbells sold for tongues is 14g 5/8", everyone should be measured to find their correct size at that time(it could change over time as well). Ill fitting jewelry could be uncomforable and even cause damage. </P>

They definitely vary. Mine is exceptionally short at 5/16. Any larger and I talk with a lisp and risk biting it.
    My name is Amy. I feel bad for people who try to type out my screen name... ;}

5/8" lobes, a bunch of holes and a decent bit of ink.

Are you serious? You an wear 5/16"in your tongue? It's pierced towards the front though, right?</p>

After two weeks my piercer swapped my initial 3/4" barbell with 4mm balls to a 5/8" barbell with 5mm balls. I couldn't take the 5mm balls, my mouth just didn't like them and I found the barbell still a little too long so I found 9/16" barbells and switched to that with a half ball under the tongue and a 4mm ball on top. That was great until a few weeks ago when I got the flu, my tongue swelled and I needed to go back to the 5/8" post but I kept the same balls on it, my tongue is still like this...it's so weird. Since I got the flu my throat and tongue have been swelled, I've been to the docs and there is no infection...just something weird my mouth has decided to do![:^)]</p>
    "This Too / Shall Pass" Across Wrists in White Ink | 1g First Lobes (goal) | 8g Second Lobes (goal) | 14g Conch | 14g Helix | 14g Tongue

[quote user="pinkducky"]</p>

Tho the most common size of barbells sold for tongues is 14g 5/8", everyone should be measured to find their correct size at that time(it could change over time as well). Ill fitting jewelry could be uncomforable and even cause damage. </p>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

It has probably been a couple of years since I sold a 14g 5/8" barbell for a tongue.
    </p>
    Owner: Industrial Primitives / Black Cat Tattoo
    APP Medical Liaison
    Board of Directors APP

Piercer, Modification Artist, Instructor, Consultant, All Around Fabulous Person (no, really I am)

And I have more motion sensor toys than you!

http://www.IndustrialPrimitives.com
    http://www.BlackCatTattoo.com
    http://www.safepiercing.org

[quote user="Jagerick"]</p>

It has probably been a couple of years since I sold a 14g 5/8" barbell for a tongue.
    [/quote]</p>

It's a relief to hear that, as soon as I decided to get my tongue pierced I splurged and bought lots and lots of 'standard' sized barbells. I was really disappointed and thought I was a freak when I found I couldn't wear them. I can seriously only take 5mm balls on top for short term wear (and that's on a shorter 9/16" bar) and cannot bear to have a 5mm ball under my tongue.
    </p>
    "This Too / Shall Pass" Across Wrists in White Ink | 1g First Lobes (goal) | 8g Second Lobes (goal) | 14g Conch | 14g Helix | 14g Tongue

+ Reply to Thread