Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tattoo scabbing.

Tattoo scabbing.

I got my first tattoo done last Saturday at a very respectable artist in town, I have followed his after care instructions but I am still worried.</p>

</p>

I know that tattoo are supposed to scab and that it is normal, however mine has seemed to scab over very fast and just looks plain gross. I have not been picking at the scabs (I know that is a big no no) however some may have been "forced" off due to the tattoos location and its contact with my waistband, I try to keep it at a minimum. From the scabs that have come off, the skin under it seems to have lost its color greatly and I am becoming worried. I get free touch ups so that really is not a problem, I am just worried for I am getting another piece, quite a bit larger, on my back in a week.</p>

</p>

After care instructions-</p>

Always wash hands before touching.</p>

Put a light coat of h2Ocean on twice a day.</p>

No tanning or direct contact with sunlight.</p>

Gentle with movements and try to not let my waistband rest on it too much for the first week or so.</p>

</p>

Should anything be changed for my back piece, besides the obvious waistband one?</p>

</p>

Here is a picture of the tattoo about a day after it was completed. (Sorry for size, not sure how to resize it.)</p>

</p>

-God_
    </p>

</p>

</p>

Re: Tattoo scabbing.

You can out some plain unscented lotion on it to keep it moist, just a little bit 3-5 times a day it will soften the edges of the scab and hopefully prevent your colthing from catching it. </p>

</p>

My artists always had me put a very thin coat of bacitracin ointment on for the first day or two a couple times a day to keep it moist and then unscented lotion a couple times a day until the scab is gone, the important part it VERY LIGHTLY coated, it should NOT be shiny.
    </p>

I second the lotion, it has been my experience that tattoos heal better when you don't let them get dryed out. I've been using lubriderm.</p>
    current: 0g lobes, a wrist tattoo, one shoulder tattoo and matching thigh tattoos
    future: More tattooing, to include super fun spots like my ribs and the backs of my knees.

Do NOT change your aftercare routine. If an artist even thinks that you changed it, he has the right to say that he won't touch you up for free. It probably even said so in the paper you signed before you got tattooed. </p>

Just ride it out. Sometimes my tattoos look like shit healing, but end up fine... And if they look like shit, you can just get it touched up. It won't end up doing the same thing because it will just be certain areas. Not a full tattoo.</p>

I would rock my pants low like you are those.. boxers? </p>

The reason why the colours aren't as vibrant after the scab falls off is because the scab is saturated with the ink, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. Tattoos are always super bright for a couple days after. My artist was always adamant about moisturizing the tattoo to prevent scabs from becoming too thick and getting scuffed off too soon because that can create an uneveness in colour, not to mention to help with the itchyness!
    "Nowhere am I so desperately needed as among a shipload of illogical humans." ~ Mr. Spock

I believe the H2Ocean tattoo stuff says to use it more than twice daily. </p>
    Owner: Industrial Primitives Training for the Body Art Industry
    Piercer: 23rd Street Body Piercing

Piercer, Modification Artist, Instructor, Consultant, All Around Fabulous Person (no, really I am)

And I have more motion sensor toys than you!

http://www.IndustrialPrimitives.com
    http://www.23sbp.com
    http://www.safepiercing.org

Yes those are boxers, I am finally able to wear them normal now.</p>

</p>

h2Ocean says 3-5 times a day if I remember correctly, do not have it with me, but my piercer said twice and more if it starts to get really itchy and dry. Is there any harm in keeping it too moisturized?
    </p>

It's my belief that if you start moisturizing too soon, it will scab heavier. That's about it.</p>

As long as it's absorbing and not just chilling on top of the skin, it's not an issue.
    </p>

too much moisturizer with suffocate the wound and cause increased healing time and may harm ink retention
    </p>

That's true, she recommended a thin layer of moisturizer once a day.
    "Nowhere am I so desperately needed as among a shipload of illogical humans." ~ Mr. Spock

Closed Thread