+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Seahorse tattoos on men

Seahorse tattoos on men

What is your take on these? From what I've read its mainly what women seem to be getting.</p>

I've got a half sleeve started with a scene of Poseidon and tomorrow I'm getting the inside of my bicep finished.</p>

It's going to be aquatic themed so it flows with what I already have. I told him I wanted 2 sea horses and a turtle and the rest was up to his artistic taste. After doing some research, it seems its more of a feminine tattoo</p>

But I chose them because it's what Poseidon, in many scenes and drawings, was carried by. So I figured it was quite fitting. </p>

Re: Seahorse tattoos on men

If you like it, who cares what other people think about the design that's going on your body?

Honestly, get whatever you want. One of my female friends has one and she doesn't like how her artist did it because she thinks it looks a little masculine because it has these harsh, defined ridges, more than what she was expecting from his drawing. I'm sure your tattoo artist could manly it up a bit and skip long eyelashes and rosy cheeks. It all depends on what the artist does and what you want.

Yea good points, I was going to get it either way, just wanted some opinions.</p>

He saw the work I already have and I'm sure he wouldn't add some cute little cuddly creatures when I have an angry Poseidon already[] But I guess I'll just have to wait and see how his sketch turns out </p>

Seahorses are totally manly, they even give birth for the females! Get what you want, but I think a seahorse would be awesome, especially with your Poseidon/water theme </p>

</p>

</p>

Why thank you! []</p>

I think them and the turtle would be a nice addition to the fam :P</p>

I had other ideas like octopuses and other creatures, but I'm not too keen on having my whole arm be angry </p>

One of my 86 year old grandpa's Navy buddies has a tattoo of a seahorse because the sub they were on was named that. I'm pretty sure if an old ass navy vet can pull it off, you can too :P

If you want a passive looking cephalopod in there somewhere still tho, cuttlefish are pretty harmless and gender neutral looking :P

There's also always my personal favorite, the walrus! </p>

</p>

...But that may be a bit too comical for your piece :P</p>

</p>

</p>

[quote user="santiago"]</p>

I had other ideas like octopuses and other creatures, but I'm not too keen on having my whole arm be angry </p>

[/quote]</p>

That's why a seahorse is such a great idea, it creates balance.</p>

I am a total non-believer in tattoos being gender specific. One of my best guy friends has beautiful chrysanthemums and peonies on his arms and hands, and he is one of the manliest dudes i know. Not that how manly or effeminate you are matters to what you should get tattooed on you, the point is that it doesn't matter and if you find something beautiful and awesome then there's no way you should be ashamed to have it on your body.</p>

Thank you everyone for the positive feedback.
    I talked to the artist yesterday and I have a feeling I'm going to love it.
    He said he'll make sketches and let me check them out, but since first half is a mix between dark red and black sky and bright blue water, he'll have to somehow make them flow.</p>

Which is puzzling to me how an artist could make that transition :/, but he didn't seem too worried. </p>

Anyone have a suggestion how to make the sky on the front to mix with the sky on the backside? I'm kind of wanting the underside to be more bright and a somewhat more happy tone.</p>

+ Reply to Thread