Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clothes rubbing against a new tattoo?

Clothes rubbing against a new tattoo?

I'm definitely thinking about getting a tattoo sometime after my birthday at the end of January, as I've been thinking about a design for awhile and am pretty excited about my idea (a small-ish tree based on Yggdrasil, from Norse mythology, because I love mythology and the book House of Leaves, which contains a quote based on it). I want to get it in white ink, I've always thought it looks very elegant. Plus I'm pretty pale and I stay out of the sunlight, so I think I've got a good chance of keeping it looking nice. </p>

But anyway, the thing I'm worried about is how my clothing will affect my desired placement. I want it on my side, near my hips, and I realized that my underwear will most likely cover a fraction of it. I'm a bit worried that the fabric will rub against the tattoo and cause more fading, as I've heard of this happening with bra straps and shoulderblade tattoos. </p>

Should I just wear loose underwear (granny panties? lol) for the duration of the healing process, or seamless ones, or something? Someone suggested I wear a breathable bandage over the tattoo for awhile, but that doesn't sound like a great idea to me. I'm sure I could always just go commando, but I don't think I could bring myself to do it. :P </p>

Re: Clothes rubbing against a new tattoo?

It's true: http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Bra_Straps

Why does wearing a breathable bandage over it for a short time sound like a bad idea to you? I know every artist can have differing aftercare instructions, so you'll want to talk to them. My ex bandaged his last tattoo—a solid black shape—and it healed solid and without flaws, but everyone heals differently. I personally would be more worried about the friction from the waistband of my pants than the underwear, and for that I would want some kind of covering to cut down on friction.

It'll be a bit too far down on my side to be affected by the waistband of my pants, really. I'm worried about the breathable bandage because I'm not too sure how breathable they'd be, if that makes any sense. I don't want to impede the healing process by not allowing the tattoo to get enough air.</p>

I'll have a chat with some of the artists I'm considering going to. It'll be my first tattoo so I'm being paranoid :P</p>

[quote user="Cosmic Surgery"]It'll be my first tattoo so I'm being paranoid [/quote]</p>

Just sounds to me like you are being very thorough and trying to get information that will help you make solid decisions about your tattoo. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.
    </p>
    'twould be folly to mistake my kindness for weakness.

Mods: 1/2" lobes; 12g Vertical nipples; 10g VCH; 12g Triangle; 8g tongue. Full sleeve + 10 other tattoos; tribal scarification
    Future mods: Phoenix tattoo

Read my Blog: Waking From A Mean Sleep

well, the best thing i could think of would be planning a little bit of time [ maybe a few days ] after the tattoo where you can hang around at home and let the tattoo stay uncovered. that way you could wear something over it to protect it after and it will have had a substantial time to breathe.
    </p>

</p>

i'm planning a new tattoo in mid january and am thinking about taking some time off possibly for this purpose. plus time off just sounds fab to me. </p>

</p>

and i agree with Adwoa, you can never be too careful. :]
    </p>

take a week off afterwards and just stay at home naked.

[quote user="psychoticzoo"]take a week off afterwards and just stay at home naked. [/quote]
    Exactly how I healed the scar on my thigh When I wasn't wearing loose skirts, I was pants off dance off.

I stayed after the first sitting for my arm sleeve too... just easier to do the aftercare without having to sneak into bathrooms to get to parts usually covered by clothing. </p>
    'twould be folly to mistake my kindness for weakness.

Mods: 1/2" lobes; 12g Vertical nipples; 10g VCH; 12g Triangle; 8g tongue. Full sleeve + 10 other tattoos; tribal scarification
    Future mods: Phoenix tattoo

Read my Blog: Waking From A Mean Sleep

Yeah, when I got my back piece done, I wore sweats and went bra-less. Then when I had to go to work I wore total granny panties and I was ok. The first few days are most critical. </p>

Just don't wear tight binding clothes...I'd imagine the problems with ruining tattoos come from folks wearing ill-fitting clothes mostly. I would assume granny panties would actually be a pretty awful idea, since they usually have very elastic waistbands. I wear boyshort or hipster underpants from Target and they dont have elastic, just a slight seam at the top and are made of stretchy fabric that isn't skin tight. I got a cut on my hipbone a few months back and they didn't bother that, so I don't imagine they'd bother a tattoo either. You could also go with leggings, which are generally soft and hit higher up on your body than underpants if the tattoo is going to be low on your body. If you're down with dresses you can avoid any sort of waistband friction that way, too.

Closed Thread