+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Proper jewelry length for initial navel piercing.

Proper jewelry length for initial navel piercing.

I was just wondering what everyone's opinion on the proper length for an initial navel piercing is. The standard jewelry length is 7/16, but do you find that's alright for the initial piercing and healing process? My bosses insist I should pierce with a 5/8 length cbb for navel piercings, but I find it to be completely unnecessary. They say it's needed to properly clean the piercing, but I find that on most people, the long length just causes issues with snagging and such. I've seen TONS of places that use actual "cute" navel rings to pierce with (just sss with rhinestones, etc), I think this seems to be a good idea because it lessens the chance of the client having the urge to prematurley change the ring. If anything I would think 1/2 would be a good size to start. What do YOU think?</p>
    Current:[16] 16g helix(3), 14g industrial, 0g lobes, 6g lobes (2 sets), 16g snakebites, 14g navel, both nostrils.
    Retired:[3] 16g tragus, 16g snug, cheek microdermal

Re: Proper jewelry length for initial navel piercing.

I think that there is no standard length, it purely depends on the client's anatomy and the depth of the piercing.
    </p>

True, but in most cases people get their navel's pierced to wear standard navel jewelry which usually only comes in 7/16, so that's the depth they would be pierced for. The question I guess is, just how much room do you find nessecary to properly heal a navel piercing? </p>
    Current:[16] 16g helix(3), 14g industrial, 0g lobes, 6g lobes (2 sets), 16g snakebites, 14g navel, both nostrils.
    Retired:[3] 16g tragus, 16g snug, cheek microdermal

<P mce_keep="true">Im not sure what length my navel jewelry is... (Rick?? if you remember) My navel didnt really get swollen or anything, and its been the perfect length the whole time so far, its a little over a month old. As far as it being longer, I dont think Id be happy with that... Im clumsy enough to get my well fitting jewelry snagged on stuff, I can imagine one that was 5/8" that would be hell! And I have had no issues cleaning mine at all... So Id just go with whats best for each customer!</P>
    ~Ann
    Forum Rules
    How to Stretch
    Before asking to get into the umodded section PLEASE ensure you meet all requirements. If you meet the requirements I will grant you access, if not I will ask that you to read the requirements. I will totally judge you if you ask me for permission and don't meet them.

I do WAY more navels with 3/8" jewelry than I do with 7/16" jewelry. I have NEVER needed to use a 5/8" piece of jewelry in a navel that I pierced. I will limit my rant to that. </p>
    Owner: Industrial Primitives Training for the Body Art Industry
    Piercer: 23rd Street Body Piercing

Piercer, Modification Artist, Instructor, Consultant, All Around Fabulous Person (no, really I am)

And I have more motion sensor toys than you!

http://www.IndustrialPrimitives.com
    http://www.23sbp.com
    http://www.safepiercing.org

Almost all navel jewelry is 3/8", which is what I got pierced with when I got mine, but mine migrated and is now happily at 6mm (I don't know what that is in inches, but its really small). Its now been there for 3 months so I'mprettysure its notrejecting, sometimes it just needs to find the place where its happy.</P>

But most piercers will use 3/8", and its what most jewelry you find will be</P>

+ Reply to Thread