Hey guys, over the past year I have really become interested in body modification and am starting to think I would like to seek a career as a professional body piercer. I'm 16 years old and would like to become an apprentice when I turn 18. I talked to a professional body piercer on bodymod.org and he promised to answer a questionnaire if I emailed him one but it's been 3 weeks and he still hasn't replied so I was wondering if any one here would be able to answer some of my questions.
1) how much does an average piercer makes?
2) My dream shop basically consists of not only a piercing parlor but a large selection of body jewelry, clothing, music, and perhaps even adult merchandise. I really hope to go beyond the standard piercing parlor. Since I order all of my plugs from here I love the large selection of plugs and would really like to be able to provide a similar selection in a store type of environment. Do you think there is a market in a store that sells clothing, music, shoes, all relating to a certain trend (kind of like a hot topic) but that emphasizes on body piercings?
3) My girlfriend supports me in everything I do, but she wants to be a kindergarten teacher. Would you say that she would be looked down upon or even held back by conservatist school districts (and parents) if they found out her husband was a body piercer?
4) Do most shops welcome apprenticeships, or do you consider it a more rare opportunity?
5) As an apprentice do you get paid?
6) How many hours do body piercers work in an average week?
7) I have yet to find a shop that only offers body piercings, most are adjoined with tattoo shops. Is it realistic for me (and still make a living) to want to own a shop that strictly only offers body piercings?