+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Becoming a Pro Body Piercer ?s

Becoming a Pro Body Piercer ?s

Hey guys, over the past year I have really become interested in body modification and am starting to think I would like to seek a career as a professional body piercer. I'm 16 years old and would like to become an apprentice when I turn 18. I talked to a professional body piercer on bodymod.org and he promised to answer a questionnaire if I emailed him one but it's been 3 weeks and he still hasn't replied so I was wondering if any one here would be able to answer some of my questions.

1) how much does an average piercer makes?

2) My dream shop basically consists of not only a piercing parlor but a large selection of body jewelry, clothing, music, and perhaps even adult merchandise. I really hope to go beyond the standard piercing parlor. Since I order all of my plugs from here I love the large selection of plugs and would really like to be able to provide a similar selection in a store type of environment. Do you think there is a market in a store that sells clothing, music, shoes, all relating to a certain trend (kind of like a hot topic) but that emphasizes on body piercings?

3) My girlfriend supports me in everything I do, but she wants to be a kindergarten teacher. Would you say that she would be looked down upon or even held back by conservatist school districts (and parents) if they found out her husband was a body piercer?

4) Do most shops welcome apprenticeships, or do you consider it a more rare opportunity?

5) As an apprentice do you get paid?

6) How many hours do body piercers work in an average week?

7) I have yet to find a shop that only offers body piercings, most are adjoined with tattoo shops. Is it realistic for me (and still make a living) to want to own a shop that strictly only offers body piercings?

Re: Becoming a Pro Body Piercer ?s

1. I don't know about an "average" piercer...but I think it depends on how the shop he works at pays him. My piercer gets paid hourly by the shop he works at. And of course he will do stuff outsdie the shop and i guess just charges for jewelry. But I'm not entirely sure on this question.
    2. this all depends on how much money you can put into a shop. firt off before you even think about buying a shop you need to work for a pretty recognizable and good shop and work for them for a while and become known before going and opening up your own business. but a huge variety in body jewelry and other merchandise all costs money, and alot of those things might not even sell as much so it could be best just to provide things you know would sell. but if you have the money to do it go for it.
    3. your 16 years old...do you think your going to be married to the girlfriend you have now?? and that's her career and this would be yours they don't really have anthing to do with each other.
    4. you'd have to go talk to shops and find out. but your best bet would to start off as an apprentice by a reputable shop with experience piercers and learn all you can and they will help you out
    5. usually being an apprentice means your their to learn what you need to know so if you get paid anything it won't be that much. i would think that depends on the shop you are going to and what you would be bring to it.
    6. some work part time and some work full time. depends on the person...just like any other job.
    7. the shop i go to does not to tattoos only body piercings

Actually yea as cliche as it sounds I'm pretty sure we are going to get married, we've been dating since I was in 8th grade (I'm a junior now and shes a Sr)

As for the whole not being able to find a non adjoined shop its probably because Ii haven't been around very many shops since i cant get pierced professionally yet. The only time I've really been in one is with my brother when he gets a tattoo or a piercing.

You're 16... Do some research now. If you still want to go down that path when you're 18 find a qualified shop in your area and get to know the people there and inquire about an apprentiship. From what I understand piercers dont make a lot of money. I have a friend who works two jobs because piercing is his passion, but he cant support himself on that alone. As far as your girlfriend, its harsh to say this, but I doubt you'll be together at that point. (I was with my ex on and off for 5 years, we were going to get married in June, we broke up a month ago.) If you are still together, she'll have four years of college and as far as anyone she would have contact with in that enviroment, it wont be any of their buisness what you do.
    On another note. Why do you want to be a piercer? That the question you need to ask yourself and be able to answer and justify.
    ~Ann
    Forum Rules
    How to Stretch
    Before asking to get into the umodded section PLEASE ensure you meet all requirements. If you meet the requirements I will grant you access, if not I will ask that you to read the requirements. I will totally judge you if you ask me for permission and don't meet them.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">Quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by bluebananaeater

On another note. Why do you want to be a piercer? That the question you need to ask yourself and be able to answer and justify.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Why must he have to justify his desire to be a piercer? Is his interest in body mods and desire to be involved in piercing not a good enough reason?

I want to do piercings while I'm in college so I could have a job I know would accept body mods. But I don't want it as a life career. Because it doesn't pay good enough. There are alot of other things you have to look into as well. Such as how much you get paid, shope have to pay insurance for piercers sometimes. It also depends on the area.

While to you it may sound unrealistic, no one here knows me well or knows anything about the type of relationship I share with my girlfriend. I realize your just sharing your insight but I was asking about her job, not your opinions on the status of our relationship. Maybe I'm taking what yall said too personally but thats just how I feel.

no one's saying you don't have a strong relationship with her. they're just trying to point out that you're only 16 and when you're 16 you don't realize how much yourself and your life will change in the next few years. really. you're gonna be disappointed if you try to plan out your life around what you have now, because life doesn't just follow your expectations. you have to acknowledge the fact that yes you could end up with her, but there's always a chance that you might not. don't expect things. you're still a kid and you have a lot of growing to do.

I understand everyones point, and appreciate the concerns, but to be honest I did not ask for any advice regarding planning my life around my girl friend. All I asked was for an opinion as if it would effect her career. And I would appreciate if we did not veer to far away from that, I have plenty of close adults in my life to seek more serious advice from. Thanks.

1. Piercers' earnings vary greatly.

2. It basically sounds like what you want is a headshop that does piercings and sells various other things..minus the headshop aspect. I've yet to see a shop that does something other than piercings/tattoos meet up to my expectations as far as cleanliness is concerned. If you can manage that..well done. As far as whether there's a market for it..it all depends on where you have the shop at.

3. Your life/career shouldn't affect her in any way..but people are idiots on occasion, so it's definitely possible it will turn out badly. Not likely, but possible.

4. It depends on the area, honestly. If you go to shops that get a large amount of business, I would imagine an apprenticeship would be much easier to obtain than say..a shop that gets very few piercing customers a day.

5. I would imagine no..but that could be wrong. From what I've heard, YOU pay THEM for the apprenticeship, not the other way around.

6. This varies a lot. It depends if you work in a shop with only yourself as the piercer, or if there are multiple piercers, since you'd obviously want time off eventually.

7. The only specific shop I can think of at the moment that does this is High Priestess in Eugene, Oregon. Oklahoma made tattooing illegal until recently, so I would imagine there were a lot of shops there that did only piercing. It's definitely possible, but there needs to actually be a market in the area you open a shop in specifically for piercings, otherwise it can turn out badly. Whether you can make a living out of it is strictly based on how hard you work, and how many people want piercings where your shop is located.
    Have: Roughly 15 hours of tattoo work, 1/2"-ish septum, 1/2" lobes, and many, many empty holes

+ Reply to Thread