+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Acrylic Plug For Stretching?

Acrylic Plug For Stretching?

So I just stretched down to a 12g. did it nice and slow with all the tricks. went well

Now today i just got my 12g acrylic plug from baf. looks great and i really like it. i even have it in right now as i'm typing.

Heres my question though. i keep hearing alota bad things about having acrylic plugs in all the time cause of toxins and such.

Well i really don't have anything else to put in. so i would like to leave it like this. i know i don't have any reaction to acrylic. so i'm wondering is this ok that i can leave it in for a whole month? or atleast use the same one for a month before i stretch again?

Toxins? yes no? safe? yes no? somone fill me in on this whole acrylic and stretching thing

Thank you

Re: Acrylic Plug For Stretching?

Toxins are debatable -- lucite (the general term for "acrylic") has been found to cause cancer in lab rats, or something. As far as stretching with it, it's improper because of it's porous nature and the fact that it cannot be sterilized. So basically, your ears could fall off.

That being said, I still intend to wear acrylic, despite it being carcinogenic when injected into rats' bloodstreams, and would probably wear it in your predicament. It's not safe, and it's not healthy, so do it at your own risk. Also, it's important to note that if your stretch stung *at all*, you have, at the very least, microscopic tears in your fistula. Because of the inability to sterilize acrylic, I would highly advise against wearing it if your stretch didn't go 100% smoothly.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe."

Axon: "You are an awful person."

omnipotato's resin: Facebook | Etsy

hmm ok so i'll have to get another plug. is something like metal ok? or what about stones or horns?

I would think stone and horn would be best left out of a newly stretched piercing, am I right? (I've heard stone can be a bit rough or something also and kinda irritate sensitive lobes?)

Metal or glass should be fine though. Nobium too.

Err.. I've been freaked out ever since I learned of the negatives of acrylic. All of my stretches have been with acrylic plugs. It's the only material I've used to this point.

What about dental acrylic? Just as hazardous? No?
    Time doesn't stop, doesn't wait, doesn't stay. - Idan Raichel

Dental acrylic can be autoclaved, so if nothing else, it's superior to regular acrylic in that sense..but I've never actually owned anything made of dental acrylic, so I can't say how comfortable it is.
    Have: Roughly 15 hours of tattoo work, 1/2"-ish septum, 1/2" lobes, and many, many empty holes

dental acrylic feels exactly like regular acrylic in your lobes, just better for them, but dental acrylic has a different feel to it, I wanna say its not as slippery feeling as most acrylic plugs can be
    I trust you as far as I spit
    35mm lobes, snakebites when I feel like it, 9 tattoos.

I've stretched all the way up to 5/8" with acrylic plugs... crap.

I'm guessing that an acrylic taper is okay to stretch with because if used correctly, it shouldn't tear the ear?

What should I use to stretch to 11/16", then, because I can't find a taper at that size.

Use PTFE tape..it's a really gradual way to stretch, and it usually only takes a couple of weeks to get to the next size, assuming your ears are fairly loose and ready to stretch.
    Have: Roughly 15 hours of tattoo work, 1/2"-ish septum, 1/2" lobes, and many, many empty holes

Any recommended places for buying some online or offline?

I've heard about using tape, just never looked into it.

+ Reply to Thread