+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 18 gauge industrial

18 gauge industrial

Hey, I searched here and BMEzine.com, but I couldn't really find my answer. I did find something about an 18 gauge industrial, but it was done with a piercing gun, and the one I would get would be done with a needle.

Anyways, I was talking to a piercer about getting an industrial, and he said I should get it done at 18 gauge. The place I go to is a piercing gun free establishment, so they would be using a needle, and a custom neometal titanium barbell. I read on BMEzine.com some things about the gauge cartilage piercings: 18 and 16 gauge are usually too small and can migrate, and that dermal punches take off some of the pressure of a piercing on cartilage, making a larger gauge preferable. However, with needles and smaller gauges, it's often pierced one gauge larger, also to take pressure off the piercing.
    So, my question is, would it take forever to heal because it's such a small gauge, and would it migrate?
    Also, I read something on BMEzine.com a long time ago that the greater the surface area of a piercing, the easier it is to heal... I tried searching for the answer on this forum, and I looked through BMEzine.com encyclopedia, but I couldn't find the why this is.
    Thanks for any info!

Re: 18 gauge industrial

I can think of two reasons to not get it. An industrial barbell in 18g will get bent out of shape way too easily. And smaller gauges are much more difficult to heal. Industrials are harder to heal already, don't make it harder by choosing that size.
    q
    Everything to excess. Moderation is for monks.

"Why?? Because my parents said BE WHAT YOU WANT TO BE, and this is what I want to be." :: Bob Flanagan

Take if from me...14ga industrials are bitch enough to heal much less an 18ga [img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img] I have 4 industrials(3 vert, 1 standard) and it has taken over a year to heal each one...an 18ga would be one of those constant thorn in side things. Small guage cartlidge just doesnt go well, and as easy as it is to snag an indy...the cheese cutter affect would be constant. Its not worth it...id definatly go for a 14ga as a minimum....12ga perferable and so on [img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]

cant say to much as of now but i can compair healing an 18g helix and my 14 gauge industrial as of now it took my 18gauge helix 3 months before i could even let my hair touch it and less then 2 weeks i CAN sleep and touch my industrial but i dont hehe because that is bad but i would so not go lower then 14gauge for an industrial or any other piercing for that matter... just my 2 cents

Ok, thanks for your help everyone! =) I'll definently go with a 14 gauge one then.

+ Reply to Thread