+ Reply to Thread

Thread: wood in the shower

wood in the shower

I like the ebony double flare plugs but I read somewhere that you shouldn't expose wood plugs to moisture. Does that mean i'd have to take the plugs out everytime I took a shower? That confuses me because I thought double flares were kind of a pain to get in and out. I'm looking for something I can wear daily.

Re: wood in the shower

there's nothing inherently wrong or bad with double flared jewelry; it's just not the best choice for everyone. some people have more elastic lobes and are easily able to insert and remove double flared jewelry. some people preferred single flared or no-flare jewelry because it's easier and gentler on their ears.
    you shouldn't wear wood in water, and if your lobes can't handle double flared, then you should look for some single flared or no-flare wood that you can easily take out when you shower.
    1/2" & 0ga jewelry whore
    atrophie @ LJ
    my BAF gallery

Double flares generally loosen up your lobes, allowing you to take the plugs out fairly easily..honestly, though, the flares on wooden plugs are generally fairly small compared to most other jewelry. The only pair I've got at the moment from Omerica has about..a .5mm flare on it, but they stay in perfectly, so I have yet to see a problem. Smaller flares are way easier to get in, especially with double flared stuff..but my ears also have no problem accomodating larger flares.
    And I've heard of numerous people showering/swimming with wood plugs..and generally, they've kept them very well oiled, and they never had any problem with them. I haven't personally tried it, but at some point I'm sure I'll forget to remove them..so yeah. If you want to be absolutely safe, take 'em out.
    Have: Roughly 15 hours of tattoo work, 1/2"-ish septum, 1/2" lobes, and many, many empty holes

when I saw the title of this thread I was expecting something completely different [img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]

prolonged exposure to water (and sometimes just a short amount of time) can cause the wood to warp and swell and cause the grains to raise. Removing the jewelry in the shower is one of those better safe than sorry things
    q
    Everything to excess. Moderation is for monks.

"Why?? Because my parents said BE WHAT YOU WANT TO BE, and this is what I want to be." :: Bob Flanagan

Hahaha, Quinnn. Yeah, that's basically what I was trying to say..but I'm tired, and I can't type at this point.
    I'm hoping to have 3 more pairs of wood plugs this week..I'd love to attempt to wear them in a shower, but I'd have to oil them a LOT before even daring to attempt it, since they're almost all gifts from people, aside from the pair of ebony plugs I got, and I'm not very handy with sandpaper, as I've proven with the large gash I had on my finger in 3D design class.

Edit: The sandpaper comment was basically referring to the grain issue Quinnn pointed out..sanding the grain down is basically one of the few things to make the jewelry return to it's original state.
    Have: Roughly 15 hours of tattoo work, 1/2"-ish septum, 1/2" lobes, and many, many empty holes

Thanks for all the replies. I'm looking at double flares in the hopes that they stay in better when I remove my motorcycle helmet. Even single flares get caught up and ripped out by the liner.

That the wood double flares have smaller flares is good news, I'll try them and see how much trouble I have getting them in an out every day. The oil and light sanding are good tips too, thanks.

The subject line was to ensure the post gets read!

Yeah, compared to almost any other jewelry I've got, the flares on my wood plugs are tiny, so it shouldn't give you too much trouble, hehe.

wow, i didn't even think of the subject line as being sexual...until now
    1/2" & 0ga jewelry whore
    atrophie @ LJ
    my BAF gallery

Best subject line evarrrr!

I personally haven't taken wood plugs in the shower, but really if you keep them well oiled you shouldn't (theoretically) have any problems.

i've heard a lot of stories (more than enough to teach me from my husband alone) about how wearing wood, or any kind of organic jewelry, in the water is bad for it. especially if you're spending as much on it as the ebony double flares cost! those aren't cheap - i wouldn't risk it.

+ Reply to Thread