PDA

View Full Version : Hypertrophic scar - hydrogen peroxide - help!!

Pan Dulce
04-30-2012, 10:38 PM
Okay, so I've had a nasty bump by my inner conch, due to too-long jewelry. So, tonight I started to try to do the hydrogen peroxide method.

I wet down a qtip with hydrogen peroxide and held it against the bump. It started sizzling right away, so I thought "Hey neat, it must be working!" I took the qtip away to see what was happening, and it was bright red and raw looking. I put I clean, dry qtip against it, and when I took it away it was bloody!

I got nervous and stopped, because I had never heard that it bled. Has anyone else done this method? Is it supposed to bleed? It didn't hurt at all, and right now it just burns a tiny bit.

Here is picture - not very good, sorry. It's not really this red. Just tone down the red, like 50%. I'm not sure what the hell happened with the coloring in this photo.

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g411/Pandulce99/photo-12.jpg

Just reassure me that I didn't just break my ear.

odessa
04-30-2012, 10:43 PM
That is a heck of a scar. I had bumps maybe 1mm wide on my rook and daith and used hot compresses and hydrogen peroxide to zap them. Honestly, yes, they did fizz and turn white, then bleed and crust up and flake off. I don't know if this is normal or healthy, but the scars are gone and have never returned.

icanican123
04-30-2012, 11:08 PM
Ouch. impo. is leave it alone until its not so.raw and angry then try tto
Why don't you get proper.fitting jewelry?

Pan Dulce
04-30-2012, 11:16 PM
It is still fairly new, and this is the initial jewelry. Once my piercer gets the proper sized barbell in stock, I'll be getting it changed out.

That is a heck of a scar. I had bumps maybe 1mm wide on my rook and daith and used hot compresses and hydrogen peroxide to zap them. Honestly, yes, they did fizz and turn white, then bleed and crust up and flake off. I don't know if this is normal or healthy, but the scars are gone and have never returned.

It is pretty big. :/ It concerned me because it pretty much started bleeding straight off.

odessa
04-30-2012, 11:21 PM
Definitely get shorter jewellery in there. How old is the piercing?

Pan Dulce
04-30-2012, 11:26 PM
Hummmm, I was going to say a month old, but it's actually 2 months! Yikes!

odessa
04-30-2012, 11:29 PM
I'm going to say that it's mechanical. You might need to downsize twice - once to minimize movement around the scar, then again once the scar is small or gone. Get to your piercer, and good luck!

MorbidWisdom
05-01-2012, 02:58 AM
And even if you happen to remove the scar with the H2O2, it would probably come back until you eliminate the stress.

icanican123
05-01-2012, 05:27 AM
I would not do hydrogen peroxide again.

cheetah
05-01-2012, 05:32 AM
Hydrogen peroxide usually makes scar tissue look worse before it looks better. It can cause redness and blistering before actually working. it can be really effective but I recommend that it is carried out by a medical professional.

Samantha_Sick
05-01-2012, 07:07 AM
I would not do hydrogen peroxide again.

http://www.compunction.org/healing2.txt

magenta
05-01-2012, 10:22 AM
i did hydrogen peroxide to get rid of some tissue on the back of one of my conch punches (on the advice of my piercer) and it worked amazingly well, it's totally smooth now. that said, it definitely looked worse before it looked better, and yes, it bled and scabbed, then turned white and eventually it was totally gone. my scar tissue was much smaller, but it did it twice daily for maybe 3 weeks? it might have even been less, but it's totally gone now!

Pan Dulce
05-01-2012, 10:29 AM
http://www.compunction.org/healing2.txt

I realize this wasn't directed at me, but this is where I got this method from. :)

i did hydrogen peroxide to get rid of some tissue on the back of one of my conch punches (on the advice of my piercer) and it worked amazingly well, it's totally smooth now. that said, it definitely looked worse before it looked better, and yes, it bled and scabbed, then turned white and eventually it was totally gone. my scar tissue was much smaller, but it did it twice daily for maybe 3 weeks? it might have even been less, but it's totally gone now!

Thanks! From the 2 people who have replied who have used this method, it sounds like this may be normal. I guess I just haven't heard what happens AFTER you apply the hydrogen peroxide.

magenta
05-01-2012, 01:01 PM
I realize this wasn't directed at me, but this is where I got this method from. :)

Thanks! From the 2 people who have replied who have used this method, it sounds like this may be normal. I guess I just haven't heard what happens AFTER you apply the hydrogen peroxide.

yeah, i was a little freaked out too, but the punch was so cranky, i figured it couldn't get much worse haha.

Squidface
05-01-2012, 05:18 PM
I used hydrogen peroxide on my tragus, and first it turned red and gooey, then crispy and scabby, and when the scab fell off there was nice healthy skin underneath. Definitely get the jewelry changed, though. That'll help a lot!

Pan Dulce
05-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Maybe I can get my nice camera out and take gooey pictures!

Thanks for the help, everyone.

island0rain
05-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Yikes, hydrogen peroxide is too harsh. Have you tried Chamomile tea bag soaks? They're awesome for hypertrophic scarring.

omnipotato
05-10-2012, 05:33 PM
I really hope this turns into a shitstorm.

The basics of it is this: hydrogen peroxide kills everything, including scar tissue. The trick is to make it kill the tissue you don't want while avoiding the areas that are already OK. It's risky, and I wouldn't use it on a piercing 1) that has mechanical stress, which, by its removal, could remove the scar tissue and 2) isn't old enough to be fully healed.

Pan Dulce
05-10-2012, 10:48 PM
I ceased the hydrogen peroxide until I can get the bar changed out (Monday). I'll reassess for my next step after I've removed the source of the stress.

When I was little, my mom used to pour hydrogen peroxide in my ear canal to "loosen up the wax", or some weird shit. Freaked me out and I hated it.

omnipotato
05-11-2012, 01:26 AM
Yeah that's really dangerous and can cause permanent hearing loss.

omgitssarah
05-11-2012, 11:38 PM
I've been doing once or twice daily hydrogen peroxide soaks since reading this thread (I started last Wednesday, so just over one week), and, while I've noticed a definite improvement in the scar, I haven't had the same reaction that most of you are talking about - no fizzing, scabbing, stinging, bleeding, peeling, etc. It's barely even dry.

Nossie
05-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Shouldn't hydrogen peroxide always fizz if it's actually working?
I've heard that it doesn't if it's past its prime.