PDA

View Full Version : Piercing Your Ears at a Larger Gauge?

StazNasty
05-30-2008, 05:44 PM
I was told that it's possible to go into a studio and have them PIERCE your ears at an 8g. True?
</p>

Tlyledesign
05-30-2008, 06:09 PM
yeah....and then you can get punches even bigger....I know my piercer punches up to 9mm (00g)
</p>

ROCKERX509
05-30-2008, 06:12 PM
Dead on. I think they can go pretty high in gauge because instead of a needle, they can use a knife, and litterally cut a peaice of your lobe out. But I think they use needle all the way to 6g, but I might be wrong.
</p>

</p>

-Ian</p>

StazNasty
05-30-2008, 06:13 PM
Well I'm hoping they'd use a needle for 8g, because if I ever decide to let it shrink in the future I don't want a chunk of my ear to be missing. </p>

Tlyledesign
05-30-2008, 06:27 PM
</p>

if I ever decide to let it shrink in the future I don't want a chunk of my ear to be missing. </p>

</p>

Then don't do it or think harder about it. True 8g is small (and yes, it is a needle) but it's still much larger than your standard 14g piercing. All in all, consider it a permanent modification of the body.
</p>

StazNasty
05-30-2008, 06:58 PM
I would have no problem with an 8g, and stretching my ear would be fine with me, however cutting a portion of my ear OUT, is not my style haha.</p>

StazNasty
05-30-2008, 07:07 PM
Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, what is the largest gauge you can get while still just using a needle and no punching?</p>

Lindsey
05-30-2008, 07:12 PM
I've had two sets of lobe piercings at 8g, and one thing is that they cut into your ear in a crescent shape because the needle is hollow, and if you close the piercing, it's possible that they will heal with a crescent shape cut in your ear. One of mine healed into a little v-shaped hole.

WastedAngel
05-31-2008, 12:03 PM
</p>

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, what is the largest gauge you can get while still just using a needle and no punching?</p>

</p>

they make needles UP TO 4g</p>

Axon
05-31-2008, 12:16 PM
I would not suggest punching or removing any tissue via scalpel in the soft lower lobe region, but if you are getting a cartilage piercing I would definitely go for a punch. If you're talking about lower lobes, you can get pierced with a large gauge needle (4 gauge) and then immediately tapered to a slightly larger size (2 or 0 gauge). If you're talking about cartilage, you can get punched up to 9mm and then tapered slightly as well. </p>

sarah407
05-31-2008, 06:23 PM
<P mce_keep="true">yeah I think it's a terrible idea thought to get your ears pierced at such a large gauge. Because maybe not at the moment but some point in your life you might not want stretched lobes anymore, and you can't really go back when their pierced at a large gauge.</P>

StazNasty
05-31-2008, 06:45 PM
I'm talking about a regular piercing, soft lobe or lower lobe. Not sure what the technical phrase for that part of your ear is.</p>

</p>

I'm thinking about going to a 4g piercing, because I want the gem plugs, however, I'm deciding on whether or not to taper to 2g right off the bat or not...</p>

Mixy
06-01-2008, 12:24 AM
<P mce_keep="true">

yeah I think it's a terrible idea thought to get your ears pierced at such a large gauge. Because maybe not at the moment but some point in your life you might not want stretched lobes anymore, and you can't really go back when their pierced at a large gauge.</P>

</P>

I may be incorrect as I have no personal experience with this, but I'm fairly certain if you get NEEDLED at a large gauge, it won't heal into a perfect round hole (like a punch would) and instead would shrink somewhat into a crescent or V shaped hole as someone previously mentioned. Sure, they won't shrink back to a 8 or 6ga like a tradtionally stretched piercing would, but I'm fairly confident you could wear normal 20ga earrings again as an old lady or man(or nothing asthe case may be)and no one would know the difference from standard cheesecutter effect ;)</P>

Lindsey
06-01-2008, 03:39 AM
That's right, Mixy. A larger gauge PIERCING will heal into a little puckered crescent-shaped hole, but it doesn't remove any skin. So you would be able to see if it was pierced once, but it would heal fairly shut.

I had my top lobes pierced at 8g and stretched them to 4g. After 6 months of taking them out, they were still at 8g, but now I wear 18g barbells in them sometimes, and I took them out over a year ago.

vash9
06-04-2008, 05:39 PM
<P mce_keep="true">I Recommend (Note* I recommend :] which you shouldnt probably consider[:#] doing a normal size piercing. it's incredibely less painful and it's not that hard to stretch up. though plan on wasting a lot of cash on tapers, tape, etc. I mean 8G is BIG for a fresh piercing or any other bigger size. when i stretched to 8G, the hole seemed super big to me at the time.</P>
<P mce_keep="true">Well, it's really your choice. you can if you want, no one would stop youand its your body.</P>
<P mce_keep="true">Good luck Buddy!</P>
<P mce_keep="true"></P>
<P mce_keep="true">And wow, i've never heard of that before. the crescent shaped thing in your ear. that sounds amazing, yet weird [:|]</P>

eleanorquantifier
06-05-2008, 11:54 AM
</p>

I Recommend (Note* I recommend :] which you shouldnt probably considerhttp://forums.bodyartforms.com/emoticons/emotion-16.gif doing a normal size piercing. it's incredibely less painful </p>

</p>

Not necessarily. When I had my 8g lobes done it really didn't hurt much at all. Just a little burning and a weird crunching noise. I've never had a standard gauge piercing, but I can't really imagine it hurting less than what I had done. Unless it didn't hurt at all, which seems unlikely.
</p>

vash9
06-05-2008, 01:46 PM
<P mce_keep="true">when i got my standard 16G piercing, i didnt even feel it O_o.</P>
<P mce_keep="true">when it was pierced, i even asked the piercer if it was in yet. i found it 10 seconds later it was already in lol..well it really comes down to how much a person can take really i guess..</P>

sarah407
06-09-2008, 09:36 AM
<P mce_keep="true">Oh I didn't know they heal that way. =D cool then</P>

Anacas
06-09-2008, 10:03 AM
My lobes were pierced at 6g and tapered immediately to 4g, and it was a great experience. Definitely didn't hurt that much--there were two moments of ouch for each lobe instead of one, but not a big deal. They healed quickly and well, and I don't think my naked holes are much different than someone who stretched from a smaller initial piercing.. it's possible they'll be more crescent shaped than most once they're bigger, but right now, they're round and see-throughable when I've just taken plugs out and shrink down to little slits soon after, just like people's I've seen who started smaller than I did. </p>

ThisWontDestroyYou
06-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Well yeah. True. But you already know that![:)]</p>

</p>

I gotta say, I don't think it's a very good idea to do that. And I would never ever mess with scapeling. Ew. I would say do it the old fashioned way. It took me over a year to get to my goal and that was with some improperly done dead stretching. But hey, you gotta do what you gotta do. </p>