PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo writting, which way??

xkieranx
09-14-2007, 02:15 AM
okay so im geting writting on my wrist, which way to i have it so i can read it when my arm is straight down, so facing up my arm or facing towards my hand...
understand?

Lindsey
09-14-2007, 02:23 AM
Well....look at your own wrist where you are getting the tattoo. Which way do you see being able to read the writing easiest?
If you are getting it across your wrist, most people I've seen do it so that the writing is going L-R, because that is the standard way to read.......

xkieranx
09-14-2007, 02:27 AM
im meaning like, it will be upside down to people if i have my arm straight down to the ground. but i can read it. it will always be left to right but it will be upside down to me or to other people. i dunno how to explain it.

Lindsey
09-14-2007, 02:35 AM
Well it's going to have to be upside down to one of you, no one can stand where your head is when they're talking to you. Can you find a pic on BME in the tattoos-writing section to clarify?

Tlyledesign
09-14-2007, 02:46 AM
I know what you're saying.....Personally I'd have the tops of the letters oriented toward my fingers...the other way looks awkward

snickypie
09-14-2007, 03:01 AM
Agreed. Tops of the letters facing the fingers.

Lindsey
09-14-2007, 03:07 AM
That's what I said, except stupidly: left-to-right the way the wearer reads. Here, I got it:
This way if they're lengthwise:
http://www.bmeink.com/A70910/high/bmepb606952.jpg
And this is they're across:
http://www.bmeink.com/A70906/high/bmepb605808.jpg

kelly
09-14-2007, 03:16 AM
If you plan on having multiple tattoos, though... they won't mesh. My friend has tattoos on her wrist that she got facing her so she could read them. She hates them now. Wants them lasered off. When she holds her arms out for others to see, it reads "Patronum Expecto" instead of the other way around. If you get them facing the other direction, they will mesh better if you end up with sleeves and others can read them the way they're supposed to be read.

distillers
09-14-2007, 05:12 AM
I have last names on each wrist, and I have all of my tattoos so they're upside down to me... so the bottom of the letters would be facing my fingertips. The above post is right - if you get more, they'll look out of order if one is upside down and the other isn't.

Jess
09-14-2007, 05:23 AM
I agree. My forearm tattoos have the writing under them so that other people can read them and so they'll mesh with my eventual sleeves. You *know* what they say after all, whereas other people don't.

eidolon
09-14-2007, 07:43 AM
I am getting a single wrist tattoo and it is very personal, so I want it so it is right side up for me. I think it depends on whether you want it for other people to understand or if it is just something for you.

quinnn
09-14-2007, 09:10 AM
my word on my foot faces out. I hate that. I want to read it damnit.

http://www.bodyartforms.com/forumsV9/mainuploadsfolder/quinnn/now.jpg

kristin
09-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Whatever you think looks best for you. it can really go any way. When I get mine done I plan to have them with the tops of the letters towards my fingers, so when I hold out my arms the words are facing me (like the 2nd picture Lindsey posted).

SummerSkin
09-14-2007, 03:04 PM
I like for it to be oriented so that it's correct when I look at it and upside down to everyone else.

dramaxx
09-14-2007, 03:13 PM
for an actual wrist tattoo, i would say having the writing facing you would be best. if it's on the actual arm, facing others would be better.

Oceanborn
09-14-2007, 04:18 PM
I agree with dramaxx. For a wrist tattoo, it should be facing you. In my opinion, it shouldn't be for others to read (since it's yours), unless ofcourse, that's what you want - a tattoo for the public to see. In which case, I would agree with the opposite.

pseudophile
09-14-2007, 04:32 PM
I think it looks better if others can read it - like, if it's legible when your arm is straight down. Just seems to work better.

I like when this debate comes up with pentagram tattoos /emoticons/emotion-2.gif

ramblequeen
09-14-2007, 04:37 PM
not a pentagram, but my trinity knot on my wrist points towards my hand. i like being able to see it right-side up. plus, i think it flows better that way. as far as the original topic, if it's for you, get it where you can read it. if you're doing it for other people/what they think of it, get it where they can read it.

xkieranx
09-15-2007, 04:09 AM
well im getting a sleeve tattoo and at the bottom i want the writting, it will look stupid if people look at my sleeve and then the writting faces me and they cant see it.
so i think i should get it so its upside down to me, and the right wayfor everyone else.
i cant wait to get it, its just i wonder if its going to hurt cos the wrist seems like a soft part to get tattooed... :]

kelly
09-15-2007, 07:01 AM
MS Paint Skillz

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/Ambellina45/wristtattoo.jpg

Basically, to reiterate what I said before. Good luck! /emoticons/emotion-2.gif

Jyggly
10-04-2007, 01:27 AM
my vote is for the first one in the drawing upside, but talking about the writing i can tell that the calligraphic letters seems good, but i donĀ“t know if you already saw a tattoo whit letters of computer font, they look amazing maybe you can search gothic fonts or classic ones, you should try.

ms.discontent
10-05-2007, 03:20 AM
i have my papa's name on my wrists, and I had them facing down so that other people could read it. Both of my arms will be sleeved (my right arm is about 1/4 of the wy, starting at my wrist) and i think it might look strange if they were facing the other way.

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/227/papaof8.jpg

(i'd post the updated photo of my right arm but i can't access myspace from work)

edit: no, they aren't crooked, my arm was bent and it's a crummy pic [:-hspin]